The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just setup my new RODI system but my wastewater is off at about 242 ML to 595 ML waste. My PSI is at the upper end of the green safety gauge at 79 PSI (I had to trim back the pressure since it was over pressured). If I am reading the instructions right i should cut this capillary restrictor back to about 1 inch. Is that right? I dont want to foul my restrictor or RO so I have to wait longer to help get RODI water in my tank. Any help would be great!:help: Thanks!

EDIT also input TDS from faucet is 371 TDS output is 0 after DI. Dont know if this helps.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
No need to reduce the pressure, 79 is great and will produce not only more treated water but also lower RO only TDS or rejection rate since membranes work more efficiently at higher presures. 60 psi is just a standard guideline for comparing one membrane to another as is 77 degrees which most people don't have either.

Set the pressure back to the 79 then do you calculations again. Cut the restrictor is small steps like an inch at a time if you makes you more comfortable.
Make sure you remove the DI during all this until you get the first 3-5 gallons of RO flushed out so you don't exhaust the DI.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up had to trim it to 1/2 inch to get it to a 1:4 ratio. Pressure dropped down to 73 PSI after. When I was trimming the pressure initially it was climbing up to around 92PSI. I was worried it would break. :(

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I run my booster pump between 95 and 100 psi on mine also. Been that way for 5 years now and the rejection rate is still over 99% and DI seems to last forever.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So new problem. Attached it to the wall and the pressure went down a bit. I installed it up high so it would not be in the way. Is that normal and if so should I trim some tubing? I also just tested the RO on the unit as well. Im getting 23 PPM TDS after the membrane. Input water is 348 TDS. Is this an acceptable level or is the membrane bad?:cry:

·
Registered
396 Posts
thats around 94%, on the low side, you might want to change it out your membrane with a Spectrapure Select which will give you 98%...I get 15 TDS from 700 PPM feed water after the membrane with the same

Your DI will last longer with a better membrane. I run 2 DI cartridges, a Max Cap followed by a Super Silicia Buster

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
So new problem. Attached it to the wall and the pressure went down a bit. I installed it up high so it would not be in the way. Is that normal and if so should I trim some tubing? I also just tested the RO on the unit as well. Im getting 23 PPM TDS after the membrane. Input water is 348 TDS. Is this an acceptable level or is the membrane bad?:cry:
You will run 5-100 gallons until it is broke in, then you should be at 0-2 or 3 ppm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts