Votes: 52 23.6%
  • higher than 1.026 or lower than 1.023

Votes: 9 4.1%
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where do you guys keep it and why? Just trying to see where the majority keeps their salinity at:)

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
1.026 good medium considering the corals I have and where they come from.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Fly Guy said:
Using a hydrometer odds are pretty likely that you are really around .020. They generall(not ALWAYS), but generally read high.
Funny you should say that...because I actually have 2 meters. 1 reads at 1.024 (instant Ocean - brand new), the other is at about 1.021 (I think it is Sea-Chem). I figure, I am somewhere in between. I hope the old one is not high because if it is then the new one is really high.

·
Ô¿Ô
834 Posts
with a hydrometer I was setting to 1.025, purchased a refractometer after I was getting some brown out, it said I was at 1.030, slowly fixed water issue back to 1.025 and the colors are now slowly coming back. For the price of a refactometer, its just not worth NOT having one. Especially the higher quality ones that run 50 bucks, worth every penny.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
???

Q?? i know that the higher salinity is great for corals but not so good for fish in captivity correct me if im wrong!
Brent.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Brent Cone said:
Q?? i know that the higher salinity is great for corals but not so good for fish in captivity correct me if im wrong!
Brent.
you are wrong. :D

this was wildly popular in the late 80's early 90's. it seems it still has not gone away. :(

this is incorrect. this all started with using lower salinities to kill parasites that could be living on the fish. the thinking was that if the fish were to be put into a system with a much lower salinity the parasites would not be able to live. the problem with this thinking is the fact that fish should be acclimated, so when you acclimate the fish you are acclimating the parasites also.

fish can handle a huge range in salinity. this is why FW dips are used for removing parasites. the fish can handle it, but the parasites hopefully will not.

it is also cheaper to run a SW tank at a lower salinity, so people running FOWLR tanks would run them lower to save money on salt.

i find it is just better to a salinity that matches as close to NSW as possible.

HTH,

G~

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Geoff said:
you are wrong. :D

this was wildly popular in the late 80's early 90's. it seems it still has not gone away. :(

this is incorrect. this all started with using lower salinities to kill parasites that could be living on the fish. the thinking was that if the fish were to be put into a system with a much lower salinity the parasites would not be able to live. the problem with this thinking is the fact that fish should be acclimated, so when you acclimate the fish you are acclimating the parasites also.

fish can handle a huge range in salinity. this is why FW dips are used for removing parasites. the fish can handle it, but the parasites hopefully will not.

it is also cheaper to run a SW tank at a lower salinity, so people running FOWLR tanks would run them lower to save money on salt.

i find it is just better to a salinity that matches as close to NSW as possible.

HTH,

G~

Thanks Geoff! that's what i have herd and read about in the past i was not shure if it was a myth or truth, thanks for clearing that up!
Brent.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
1.026....1.025 by the time it's ready for a WC.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i keep right around .021-.022, i would keep it higher, but i buy my ro/di and mixed salt water from a local fish store, and thats what they mix it at, so id either have to mix my own, or adjust theirs, and im lazy, so i keep it the same as theirs. its just easy.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
1.025 but that's with hydrometer, gonna have lfs double check and see what their meter shows and match up the hydrometer. Refractometer on the wish list tho.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts