The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

My lion is developing some cloud spots on his eyes.. Jeff asked about that the other day, but I didn't see anything at the time... I noticed them today...

If ya need, I'll post some pics... Anyone know what this is and how it's treated?

Thanks in advance...

·
Super Moderator
22,419 Posts
hmm,BH,,,couple things here,,,since ya just got it,,,mebbe "net burn",,:confused: from it getting moved,,,,,
is the cloudiness constant thru the whole lens vs "spots " as you mentioned?
both eyes "milky"?
my RX:
cut back on feeding a lil,,
water quality,,,you know your paramters?if not have it checked,,
i know its a new fish,how old is the tank?
BTW: notice any sloughing of the skin "film"?(kinda of a milky film,,once inna while is OK,,,too much , not good)
if you can , i'd recommend using a Magnum with Diatom powder,and if you can find it, Vortex powdered carbon in with it,,,if not throw a bag of carbon in (sump/filter)
water changes, if parameters are "off". make sure replacement water is the same SG and temp as the tank water.
also Selcon and or Garlic added to the food might help it recover,,
as far as meds,,,really can't help you there, just remember, if it does not say on the med bottle,,dose
1/2 the dose , due to the lion is scaleless,,,,
bottom line, i would say water quality,and/or mebbe net burn/abrasion from being caught,,dunno , do you know a net was used?
hope this helped,,maybe someone else can offer a different light on this,,,
good luck , keep us posted;)

·
double cappuccino
1,633 Posts
Cloudy eyes can come and go with adult lions, I wouldn't do anything drastic. It is most likely not a disease or infection in it's own right. The most likely culprit is water quality if anything, also could just be a shift in water conditions from what it is used to. If you want to take action now, just do a decent sized water change and slow up feeding for awhile (unless you already feed lightly).

Watch for any other outward signs or a loss of appetite before deciding to treat for anything in particular.

bb

·
Sailfin
2,449 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear about this, and I don't have anything further to offer. I haven't noticed the skin sloughing or cloudy eyes with our lion, however, sometimes his eyes "look" cloudy just b/c I'm seeing thru them at an angle.

If you have a closeup pic, that would be great, but I still wouldn't know what to tell ya.

Ours goes 3-4 days without eating after big minnow meals. I would agree that it makes sense to give him a break from digesting and other such things, do the water change (altho ours is in very hi nitrate water --- 75-100 and can't get it down, been that way forever:eek: )

Keep us posted please...

Shirley:(

·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
His eyes are spotted with dots of cloudiness...

His appetite is a ravenous as ever... any time I feed him, he's always up for a good meal... He eats a healty diet of raw medium sized cocktail shrimp, talapia, squis slices, and frozen silversides..

He wasn't netted when I purchased him, we "shooed" him right into the bag... (I'm not sure by what method he was caught in his previous owners tank)

He didn't eat much while at the LFS and there water parameters there are pretty good...

My tank has a much higher SG 1.025 against the LFS 1.019... He had a relatively quick acclim with 1 cup additions to his bag at ten minute intervals for 1/2 hour... (I didn't want to retransfer him into another container for acclim, then another transfer into the tank, so chose for a quick acclim as the bag wasn't very large)

My params are pretty good, but he was a big jump in bioload to the tank and they have risen since his introduction...

I'll get some pics either in a bit or tomorrow after work...

·
Sailfin
2,449 Posts
We keep our Sg at 1.024-1.025. We also dump new things in a big bucket and for larger things make the reef shop give us larger bags -- all hindsight, I know. Then we acclim with the big bucket rather than floating bags in the tank. Bucket sizes: little butter tubs, big butter tubs, plastic gallon ice cream containers, and if necessary, big IO salt bucket.

I keep an eye on pH as much as anything else when adding new critters. (battery-operated pH probe) Sg, Temp, pH is what I check when acclimating. pH usually takes the longest.

I have no clue what a fast sg change does to a lion. It's been awhile, like a week at least, right?

Let us know...I'm out for the night, will check back in the a.m.

~ shirley

·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah.... It's been about two weeks...

His skin looks good and there are no other symptoms... Just his dotted eyes...

·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........... I was searching around and found this post on another message board....

I recently got my 2nd Volitan Lion after many years from the first. Tank has been cycled for several months. Have had tang, puffer, snowflake ill, some snails and a couple hermit crabs. At the time this happened only Lion, snowflake, and snails were in the tank. He stopped eating for several days, then had swollen stomach, shriveled tips of dorsal fins, then a little cloudy eyes and grayish color. Checked everything, nitrites, trates, temp, selenity, pH, ammonia... everything was in normal range. Spoke to a saltwater expert from another store in the area, and said he got a bacterial infection from feeding him goldfish. He said only goldfish have some type of bacteria in them that a will infect a Lions liver. The place I bought him from knew I feed him goldfish, cause they sold them to me. Anybody else heard of this or have any information? He ended up dying before we could treat him in time for the infection. He was absolutely perfect! Body was 5" long, perfect markings. The people at the Aquarium I got him from acted like they didn't know what I was talking about. I'm pissed!!!

I haven't fed my Lion ANY goldfish and will be very pissed if this was caused at the LFS...

·
Sailfin
2,449 Posts
I've heard of Clownfish getting a similar infection from eating bad shrimp. Don't know about the goldfish.

Is there an antibiotic for it?

I think we've fed feeder goldfish maybe twice to our lion b/c minnows are so handy to get where we live, plus they are cheaper (we get three doz for our pond turtles)

Anyone else know about this?
:confused:

·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just posted to Frank Marini's thread over at RC... He did a great write up on Lionfish for Reefkeeping... I'll let ya know what he says....

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I hate those LFS that are in it for the money and offer no help! They should take it back for credit if anything!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I had a lion about 10 yrs ago, he got only goldfish. I never had this prob. Eyes always clear, skin good, he swam around my hand at feeding time (knew what was coming).
He grew from 4" to about 14" in 15 mos then a fire did away with both my tanks.

Lee

·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went to The Hidden Reef and talked to Ziggy there... We couldn't figure out what's up with my Lion.... I decided to give him half dosings of Rid-Ich... I'll keep you all updated and will grab some pics....

·
Super Moderator
22,419 Posts
Good deal BH,,,keep us posted,,,don't worry too much ,,,
if it's strong already, it'll do ok,,,just keep a eye on it,,,and watch the water params,,,,
tell ya wat,,,cut back about 1/2 on feeding ,,,it'll do OK,,,and help the water,,,,

·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just did a 5 gallon WC and will keep up with 5 gallon changes through the weekend...

Parameters were Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate around 40... The high nitrates doesn't suprize me as he's a heavy bioload... Once he gets into the 125, it will be easier for me to do WC's... Going to buy a big Rubbermaid 50 gallon can to keep fresh saltwater out on the balcony... The 125 is sitting next to the patio door do it will be easy pumping access into the tank...

I'm not too worried about him, but it is disheartening when your fish gets sick... It's the same with any other pet...

I'll take params tomorrow and let ya know...

·
Super Moderator
22,419 Posts
Good, Later,,,

·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting findings after testing the 125...

Test Yesterday
Ammonia: .1
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
PH: 8.3

I added a chopped up cocktail shrimp to kick the cycle...

Test Tonight
Ammonia: .50
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10

When I set up the tank, I followed the method I've used with FW tanks in the past with much success for "almost instant" cycle...

Layed sand bed of fresh SD... Filled tank.... Added a few cups of LS... Added some pieces of cured LR... Added 2 Emperor 400 Power filters that had been running on established tanks...

These parameters look very promising, specifically the high jump in nitrate after adding cocktail shrimp...

If the ammonia drops over the next day or two and the nitrite does not rise, and the nitrate takes another jump, I think I may be in business early...

I added two more pieces of LR from established tanks also tonight, so I'm hopeful that things should really be ready for transfer soon...

With a similar method, I had a FW tank ready to go in 3 days... ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts