The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Bears Fan
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me with my issue.

Here is what is going on.

The pump is brand new. I tested it with regular water and it worked perfectly. I hooked it up under the tank to move water from my topoff reservoir to my sump. It spins and you see the water trying to move but nothing happens. I took it out from under the tank and it still doesn't work now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am not using Kalk until I get this thing working properly.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
yep typical aquamedic dosing pump problem. the tube needs to be cut just a smidgen shorter. i dont think they measure them from the factory very well. there allways too long and the tube dont squeeze shut loke its supose to. i dont care for the tubing they use either. its too stiff.

·
Bears Fan
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spazz,

Mine didn't come with tubing, I had to buy it myself. Is there a limit to the distance? Do I need to use a check valve?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
distance is not a factor, hight is. the pump is only good to about 18 ft of head or something like that. was the pump new? if it was new it should have had a tube in the pump and a spare tube with it. if its used then it must have the wrong type of tubing in it.

·
Bears Fan
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It came with the tube inside the hosing and a spare one. I thought you meant the tube to feed the pump.

I think I solved the problem. My airline tubing was the green flexible kind and for some reason it wouldn't suck through that. I replaced it with the same old stiff clear kind and a check valve and it seems to be working, but it doesn pull in a lot of air bubbles.

Are you still suggesting that I take the tube out that is inside the pump and make it shorter?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
how timely, thanks for the info spazz.

I got 3 new ones and they all have that problem.
Also you will notice they forgot to grease the one installed in the unit. I swapped mine for the spare right away. We have been trying to get a hold of some one at the company with no response for weeks now. I really am an unhappy customer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have seen the same problems arising from these pumps where they dont suck properly or they lose siphon when they shut off. but i solved the issue by making sure that the dosing pump is uphill the entire way from the reservoir to the pump itself with a check valve somewhere along the way and then its mounted slightly skewed so that the side where the water comes out of the pump is lower than the side where the water is coming into it. and then only using a short hose from the dosing pump to the tank/sump making sure that its above water. You can have a long distance from the reservoir to the dosing pump as long as you have a check valve. but you cant really have a long distance between the pump and where its supposed to dose to. Hope that helps.

·
Bears Fan
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Corals,

That is pretty much a match to what I just finished setting up. Hopefully it will work.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
you cant really have a long distance between the pump and where its supposed to dose to.

Whats a long distance?

Whats a good method to reclam the tube down?

·
Registered
55 Posts
HFG said:
you cant really have a long distance between the pump and where its supposed to dose to.

Whats a long distance?

Whats a good method to reclam the tube down?
Well I have my dosing pump run from my bathroom across the hall to the other room where the tank is. The pump sits in the stand of my tank. the feed hose runs about 12-15 feet maybe. Then from the dosing pump to the sump is about 1.5 - 2 feet. The hose that doses into the sump is secured in a small enough hole for the hose to fit snugly into it and not move, in the bracing of the sump so it points straight down and isnt underwater. I think the key is to make sure you have a check valve. Without one you end up losing siphon when the pump stops. and its hard for the pump to reclaim the siphon on its own after that.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
HFG said:
how timely, thanks for the info spazz.

I got 3 new ones and they all have that problem.
Also you will notice they forgot to grease the one installed in the unit. I swapped mine for the spare right away. We have been trying to get a hold of some one at the company with no response for weeks now. I really am an unhappy customer.
That's why I don't use the Aqua Medic dosing pump.

They are probably not getting back to you because their factory partially burned down (or so I heard).

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Wow. Well, I guess that is understandable... Still the product has me a bit more than frusterated. I'm going to try the shortning mod and see if that fixes it, hopefully this week. And, I have extra sylicone from my ERs. I think that is what you grease them with...

Thank goodness for the club and the internet :)

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Hmmmm. One of the whole benefits of using a dosing pump is that it pinches the line so that there is not back-siphon of any kind. My litermetterIII there is no worries about a back-siphon or a need for a check valve.

Perhaps that is what Scott mentions by shortening the tubing so that is it stretches more and will fully pinch it off when not on.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
David Grigor said:
Hmmmm. One of the whole benefits of using a dosing pump is that it pinches the line so that there is not back-siphon of any kind. My litermetterIII there is no worries about a back-siphon or a need for a check valve.

Perhaps that is what Scott mentions by shortening the tubing so that is it stretches more and will fully pinch it off when not on.

yep by shortening the tube it closes the gap left by the tube being too loose on the rollers. this will prevent it from back siphoning on you so no check valve is needed.
i have been doing some reasearch on a new dosing pump. i plan to buy one and check it out to see if it will work for our needs or not. if it does it will be cheaper than the aquamedic ones. you will just need a 12v adapter for it.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I believe the manual says it can fail for the syphon... but it would have to stop in just the right angle for that to happen. I've never noticed that happen (I have had one running for 9 months fine... its those new three that don't work yet :( )They do come with a back valve, I guess I better put it in for safty... I assume it should be above the water line...I'm running it over one of those barrels I picked up from Spazz. Literally one inches over the barrel then back down to the ground (sump).

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I have used most of the dosing pumps on the market. I didn't like the Aqua Medic for the reasons listed above and the fact that the dosing rate is not adjustable.

The Spectrapur litermeter III is a great dosing pump. My only complaint is that the shaft that turns the three wheels does so only using friction. If you don't stay on top of cleaning the rollers, the shaft can stop turning them.

I attempted to use a Reef Fillter diaphram dosing pump. Really noisy and needed a optional check valve system to be mounted above RO resivour. I might attempt to become more adept at using this pump for applications that require higher dosing volumes.

I love the Vario LP dosing pump. It is a workhorse and the dosing rate is adjustable. But it is as expensive as the Litermeter III without all the features of being able to control other dosing pumps and attaching sensors (the only feature I use is adjusting the dosing rate so this doesn't matter to me).

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Thats a nice report thanks!

Since I am using reefkeeprers on two of the systems, adjuststing the flow rate is NBD; however, having a reliable pump is importiant.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
I've used the litermetter III continously for 3 years and has been totally maintenance free.....However I do plan to change out the tubing on next mailorder......

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Li put the back pressure valves that come with the sp3000... they all seem to work so far. We have been testing them for at least a few days this way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts