The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I had a DSB in my 125, and would like to go that route again with this 90. I remember reading somewhere that some of the beneficial worms and such did better in the fine sugar sand like Southdown.

I have a bag of Carribean that I got from condiman (thanks, by the way!) but it is a much coarser grain size. If I can find Southdown, I want to go that direction, but hate to waste this bag. Would you mix them? Or leave the Carribean out altogether?

Also, has anyone seen any Southdown anywhere? I remember having to scout the Home Depots in the cities to find it last time. I will need about 4 - 40lb bags, I think. I know there was a calculator on here somewhere to figure that out...?

·
Registered
932 Posts
I think that is going to be difficult to find in EC area. If you can call the Home Depot in Wausau and they may be able to help you with that as well.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try the Home Depot in Wausau. I actually have to head that way on Monday & Tuesday for work this coming week anyhow.

Anyone know how I figure out how much to buy?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Use the sandbed calc on RC

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Jen call me! if you do a search here for the sand you should find some info about it. I don't believe its carried by many people anymore.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts

·
THE VILLAGE IDIOT
2,622 Posts
why would you go to petco and pay 30 bucks for 10lbs of sand that you can get sugarsand at MENARDS....thats what im runnin in both my tanks....and no issues.....4.00 for a 50lb bag....

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I am going to say use with caution. There was an article about a year ago now that said the company was now using a new dig site for this sand and that it was no longer safe for salt water tanks as they were finding trace elements of different metals and you may be able to keep finsh but corals would not live long. I am not able to find that thread for you so just wanted to let you know as an FYI

·
THE VILLAGE IDIOT
2,622 Posts
they have both......what im running isnt silica..i dont think....tanks been setup so long i dont remember which one im running.....but i can go directly to it...its in a blue bag.....

i wont be running it in the new tank cuz the wife wants to go with ocean direct.....but it will stay in the 75g when the aggresive fish get added

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
I have a very hard time finding ca based sand in the south (florida and alabama) without going to the pet stores to get it. I keep hoping to find a source for it that isn't so freaking expensive. Not sure I could have it shipped to me from WI though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have some to get rid of!!!

We were just looking on this web site to see if anybody needed any of the sand. We were cleaning out our garage and want to get rid of it. We have 4 maybe 5 bags of it. They have been there for at least 5 years so it is old. We need to get to it and take it out of the big fleet farm bag to see how many are in there. But I know there are 4 for sure. We live in the Twin Cities though. So I guess it depends on how far you want to drive. I am not even sure what to sell it to you for. Anybody have any suggestions? Let me know if anybody wants them!

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
About 3 dollars a bag if its dry southdown sand. It usually retails for about 4-6 a bag.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
why would you go to petco and pay 30 bucks for 10lbs of sand that you can get sugarsand at MENARDS....thats what im runnin in both my tanks....and no issues.....4.00 for a 50lb bag....
This may also be another point to look at for your tank issues. A long time ago it was determined the Menards sand was not good, I assume you are using the sandbox sand?

·
THE VILLAGE IDIOT
2,622 Posts
sand has nothing to do with the issues that happened to the tank......trust me...tank tests out fine...and if you come look at it its LIVE as live can be.....

its the fine filtered and washed sand......not the regular sand box sand......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts