The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Waves Marine & Reef
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought the/a 150 gallon tank that was for sale at Upscales (used full system). I hope to put a DSB in this tank, but dont want to buy all the sand at the LFS. Would anyone out there be interested in going together into purchasing a full pallet of southdown from homedepot? I understand you can usually get them to ship in a pallet at a time for special order.

Any takers?

I live in Tigard, but I would be happy to store it here until folks could come get it etc. Id make all the arrangements once I knew it was possible to make it work.

joel

·
Registered
479 Posts
Id be in for 20 if the price was right. They will probably charge you to have it shipped from another Home Depot. They dont like to eat the charge to satisfy the customer. But it is still a good deal. So if you are able to talk to the Manager at a Home Depot and he (or she) is willing to bring in a pallet, let me know how much per bag.... and if the price is right, ill take em.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Or...

Go to lowes, get a 100 lbs bag of quikrete commercial grade medium sand for 6 or 7 bucks. The stuff is bright white and simply awesome.

·
Waves Marine & Reef
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you know if it has the same PH buffering capacity?

I guess it may be worth buying it and trying the vinegar test to see if it bubbles. If you have some dry stuff, wanna give it a shot for us? Just pour on some vinegar and see if it bubbles, if it does, it will buffer the ph, if not its just white silcate sand.

Im also thinking about buying some sand from a company that makes it for PH nutrilizers for homes. my folk use one but the sand is a bit coarse. I may use it mixed with some finer sand as well.

Ill be going to HD tonight and will let you all know if I have some results. It sounds like I wont have any problem getting rid of all the sand if I can manage to get a whole pallet.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Is there a law about swiping beach sand in Oregon? I know in some places in the world you can't remove plants and all that, but what about sand?

Anyone ever toss a handful of 'real' LS in their tank?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Of course it won't bubble, its silica sand. Unless you're not planning on having any live rock in there, that won't make any difference regarding your pH. The pH buffering of CaCO3 is overrated. Heck, if you're that worried about it get a few bags of it, and then throw in a few bags of CaCO3 over the top of it.

Real LS from an oregon beach might do okay in a coldwater aquarium...

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
if someone can figure out how much sand i need to make a 3 inch bed on a 56"X20" tank, i will take that much, will need some at the end of september for the new tank.

i probably can't carry that much on the bus however, so that order would be predicated on someone being able to bring it by my apartment :p

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
nice site. an a side note, the math is telling me i either have the wrong measurements, or i am incorrect on the tank size. better get that worked out before i build the stand!

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
southdown is a brand name for it, also yardright, and whitecastle i think (or is that the hamburger, i always get the two mixed up).

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.