The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Southdown used to be calcium based and readily available and was used alot as a reef substrate...it seems to be hard to find anymore.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got 500 LBS of the stuff in my garage. The picture on the link posted is not what the 50LB bags I have look like. Sorry but I don't have a jpg of it right now. If I remember right the bags of Southdown from Home Depot are red and blue. They also have "Not for aquarium use" printed on the bag.

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
It was bought by another company years ago and changed. It's no longer made up of the same stuff and it isn't good anymore.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Its worth a try. Years ago it was bought up and the name was changed to Oldcastle/Yardright or something like that. I see that bag now says Colorscape on the side but it still says its a "soft texture" "extra fine" and not for traction so that leads me to believe its aragonite or calcium based and not silica sand.
I would buy a bag if they are close by and give it the vinegar test. It would be nice to find again, I used up my 500 lbs a long time ago myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts