The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this kind of sand is not in production anymore, but I was wondering if there are still people out there who have it stockpiled? Particularly in Florida (which is where it was imported). I remember reading that someone purchased 2 tons of the stuff. It sure would be nice to put together a decent sand bed for less than $20 as opposed to $200.

How long ago did they stop selling that stuff anyway?

Anyone have any other good ideas for cheap sand? A friend told me that beaches around Cocoa/Space Coast and north around Ormond have aragonite sand, but I'm hesitant... I suppose I could try out the vinegar test on some. Another guy told me that sometimes crushed coral is sold for barns (don't know what they use it for) and that you can just crush it down to make a decent sand. Any other ideas for me?

·
Registered
960 Posts
This is a great question. I'm getting ready to start looking for sand, I want good quality but don't want to pay an arm and a leg. I've seen some on e-bay, but for all I know it's coming out of someone's back yard.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I have a friend of mine that used that sand. I was able to dissolve some of it in vinegar, but not all of it. It has a lot of silica content and looks kinda strange when you first see it in the tank... kinda like little opaque beads of white glass... cool effect though.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have a friend of mine that used that sand. I was able to dissolve some of it in vinegar, but not all of it. It has a lot of silica content and looks kinda strange when you first see it in the tank... kinda like little opaque beads of white glass... cool effect though.
FT - Can you give a little more detail on the vinegar test? How is it done?

·
Administrator
47,039 Posts
Aragonite or calcium carbonate sand will fizz and bubble some when exposed to acetic acid, where as silica sand is not reactive to vinegar

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
and there ya go... being calcium based, any acid (technically) will break down the sand and fizz.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts