The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!!
Our 4 year old decided to give our 29 gallon tank a quart of flake food at one serving. We took out the rock and corals, put in three pumps, filter sleeves, sponges , 50% water change,you name it we did it. Problem is we need to polish our water in a hurry. Is anyone willing to lend any sort of polishing filter to help clean out the left over debris? Call anytime at (404) 867-6553 or (770) 279-0841. I will pick it up asap. thanks for your help. Any suggestions would also be helpful.

Thanks,
Brandon & Kelly
RobinsonFam1

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I now see what the problem was. I don't know if I could have helped cause

1) I don't have any kind of external polishing filter and
2) I live really far away.

In certain drastic situations I'm not against 100% water changes in one setting. It's sort of like starting over w/ your water but not really. All the LR is still cycled. Most the corals can handle it as long as the temp and salinity match.

Any type of sponge filter would probably do the trick even a large HOB filter. All night Wall Mart would probably work for a HOB and some carbon. Add some carbon in the end and keep your skimmer working full time.

All this is probably a little late advice. I was still on the computer last night but for some reason didn't get you PM till I logged back on this morning.

Charles

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I have a 400 gph canister filter you could borrow - I use it for the same reason - short-term clean and polish. Only problem is, I'm in Canton...... AND I need it back within 24 hours.

If anybody out there has a spare canister lying around, who can pitch it in - this is what they need.

Jenn

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
I have a spare HOB Filter and SKilter but that is about it. I don't really use them much. Heck I have one that I will give you if you want it but I am not sure how effective they are. Never used in Saltwater.

Ray

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have an extra Penguin 330 w/o bio-wheels I could loan you.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
heya!
thanks for all of the replies and offers from everyone! everyones support really shows through and is very appreciated! thanks! I actually found a fluval 304 for sale from here in the middle of the night and set it up this morning, afternoon, and evening. filled it with carbon, foam blocks, and some nitrate removing media. i finally got done doing water changes and cleaning everything out. hopefully all will work out. one good thing is that we were able to rearrange all of the rock and add more sand like we originally wanted to do. so well see what happens and ill keep everyone posted.
Thanks again!
Brandon & Kelly

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
xenia didnt survive the wrath of the 4 year old. the gsp are not yet open and the shroom and sponge are looking good. wish us luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts