The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang,

Sorry to post this, but I'd appreciate a sanity check before I drop the coin on a big new skimmer. I've been reading and shopping for a couple of weeks and am finally ready to pull the trigger.

I've done the budget skimmers before and am ready to go upmarket. The skimmer will go on a 125 with 100G sump for now, with a couple of smaller tanks being added into the loop for a total water column around 200G.

At the moment, I'm planning to go with the largest blem Euro-Reef I can get. The only other skimmer I'd even consider would be the MR-2 and they are only second place because I have a hard time with the concept of burning that much power just to inject air into water. (shrug)

While the ASM represents a great value, I'm very much interested in having the option of running the skimmer externally.

So what do you guys/gals think? I would especially be interested in anything that requires less fiddling. Like the way my Remora does :D. Maybe I'll just get 3 or 4 of those. ;) (Oh, and I'd be on the Deltec HOB like stink on poo if it wasn't so expensive.) The ER RC-180 would be my top choice if it fit the budget.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Dan

·
Registered
381 Posts
I love the Euro Reefs...Easy to operate, Dummy Proof, all and all Good product. It keeps my 30L Reef Tank sparking clean.

CLH

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Seems you really only have two options for that dollar......MR-2 or the Euro Reef.

It's all preference as to the style.

·
Banned
2,995 Posts
brifirst said:
I can not see how a skimmer could do better in my 120 then the ASM I am running.
yeah I think the same about my EuroReef- I have it turned all the way down and I still can't grow xenia!!! It just works way too good.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
ASM is the best bang for the buck.....problem for this guy is he wants the option to mount externally from sump.........ASM known for little leaks.:cry:

No performance issue, just floor doesn't like it. :lol:

brifirst.....

You have a G1 on a 120? Does it work good, lots of green nasties!. I was looking at the G4 for my 110. :D

OOps I read the I as a "1"...what size do you have :doh:

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
ya know, I keep hearing this leaking issue for these skimmers, what is the deal?

I have my big MRC skimmer (and all the rest of the Mr2's) set up externally so I dont have to deal with cramped space under the stands (and the advantage of running all that "wattage to inject air" is that it also as a consequence turns over a large amount of water... :D ). I keep hearing that these are intended to run in the sumps anyway, but I just dont buy that. If the ASM skimmer is "all that" in terms of quality in construction, then why are there so many that leak when not in a sump???

My issues with the Euroreef are personal preference ones based on previous experiences, not quality issues, so although I've used them in the past, I personally prefer the MR series skimmers, again, nothing wrong with the Euro's, I just like the MR's better. They're more reliable, easy to dial in and control, and if I have a problem (or do something stupid and break off the injector body lifting the skimmer out of a tight location full of water by the injector body at an angle... :rolleyes: ), I can send an email or pick up the phone and the issue is resolved, no questions asked.

If you keep your equipment long enough, you will eventually need some type of repair or maintenance or desire an upgrade. Andy is always accessible, and the replacements or parts or support is always within a few days delivery.

JM2CW

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
The leak issue w/ the ASM's is in the way they seal the pump to the body. It is basically not a water tight fitting. The output of the pump slips into a uni-seal. So it leaks.....very minimal but don't want it outside the sump. Also I think they may slightly leak on the main body near where the collection cup is as well.

Anyway they seem to skim like mad, just have a drip here and there. I have never used one, but have been contemplating the MRC's or ER/ASM's as well for a few weeks. Time for an upgrade.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
tdwyatt said:
If the ASM skimmer is "all that" in terms of quality in construction, then why are there so many that leak when not in a sump???

JM2CW
Also they(ASM) are not deamed as "Quality Construction" as they know about the leaks and advertise they use the lesser quality acrylic.....thus to save money over the ER and create a great bang for the buck.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
It would be very simple to make the ASM an external skimmer for just a few bucks. But for all that matters the MRs are good enough and the ERs will work externally. So if you intend on using the skimmer externally you might as well just buy the MR skimmer or the euro reef.

And by the way if Tom says he likes something because it is easier to use that means it is very difficult to use but he would like to say it is easy (J/K). And for him it is prolly easy but I don't know what could be easier than Dialing in my ASM, except maybe an ASM with the gate valve mod on it.

·
11,345 Posts
My MR-2 that Tom forced me to buy just came a couple of hours ago. Im just hoping hes reading so he can drive over and help me hook it up and tune it.

Tom? You listening? Its out of the box and looks really cool on my carpet.

Waiting.........

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Fly Guy said:
My MR-2 that Tom forced me to buy just came a couple of hours ago. Im just hoping hes reading so he can drive over and help me hook it up and tune it.

Tom? You listening? Its out of the box and looks really cool on my carpet.

Waiting.........
Thats always worth a PIC!

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
:D

Photos please!

BTW, use the info Andy sent with the skimmer, it is really easy to use. Be aware that with all skimmers, especially when clean and new, will take a day or so to start skimming at their peak efficiency. Make sure that you assemble the skimmer correctly, and when tightening the screws down on each section to hold the column together, that the O-ring gasket is fully seated, that you tighten opposite screws (180 degrees from each other) until just resistance is felt, then go around the entire ring until all are equally tight, that all your clamps on the water lines are tight, and that you use a 1/2" ID plastic pipe to carry your skimmate to the collection vessel. Your drain line for the effluent water from the skimmer needs to have a stack with a vent (this prevents siphoning and the resulting fluctuations in water column height inside the skimmer) if you're using the skimmer out of the sump, and should be water tight (use threaded fittings with Teflon tape at the gate valve to the sump, slip fittings over the sump without glue if so desired, but check for leaks. When you start running water through the skimmer, open the air control valve wide open initially and run the gate valve wide open for 24 hours, then gradually close the gate valve and watch as the water rises up the base column to the first riser, then about 2 more inches above the riser. Use more for wetter foam, less for dryer foam, but this is a good point to start from, some really big skimmers may need to have more water (higher, like 4") in the tube. At this point you should have very good foam being generated, dial the air back until the foam stops, then open it until the water column is white again, and stop. Check your skimmer every hour to see where the foam column has risen to, if it gets to the top in less than an hour, then cut the air back. It should take about 3 to 5 hours to generate enough foam to just start breaking over the top of the skimmer. Any sooner may be a little on the wet side, and may cause the skimmer to overflow while unattended during the night. Over the next several hours, you'll need to check on how thick the foam is, and how high it is in the foam column (smaller tube).

I would still check the skimmer every few hours while it is going through the initial operation, as the longer your hands are OUT of the tank, the better the skimmer will make foam. Keep this in mind if you have to place your arms into the water column, and do not adjust to make more foam for the next several hours. By following the directions in Andy's instruction sheet, you can make the skimmate either thick or thin, and tweak the adjustments depending on what you want the skimmer to do. Do not feed the tank until you know you have adjusted the skimmer to your specifications.

Lemmeno if you have any problems...

BTW, I took the wife and four of her friends out on the kickback Andy sent me...

:funny: (just kidding... ;) )

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
My display tank skimmer...

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
tdwyatt said:
:D

BTW, I took the wife and four of her friends out on the kickback Andy sent me...

:funny: (just kidding... ;) )
What are you gonna do with the kickback from the MRC CR-6 I bought?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
three90s&125sump said:
What are you gonna do with the kickback from the MRC CR-6 I bought?
I haven't figued that out yet, by the time I spend the money for tix for 2 to Key West, rent the scuba gear, get a local divemaster to show me where the good spots back up US1 are now, pay for the weekend in that resort that Holiday inn bought, and tips and Taxi, I may not have enough to visit Sloppy Joes and have supper...:eek:

well, at least not BOTH nights... ;)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

(again, just kidding... )

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Maybe I should have just baught a 20 year supply of prestone driveway heat.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
three90s&125sump said:
Maybe I should have just baught a 20 year supply of prestone driveway heat.
Nahhh, then I woud only made it as far as Charleston!

;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts