The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Idea's what can stack the sand up like this?

I'd say its definatly not the water movement pilling the sand up , theres been 3 humps in the Sb over the last few weeks. The only snails i've added are turbo's, is this the work of cerith or nassarius? Maybe some sort of worm?

Matt

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
Wish I could tell you! I have the same thing happening all over my sandbed.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Twitterbait said:
actually it looks like a spagetti worm mound. do you see threads sticking out of it?
I have got a few spaghetti worms in my tank but theres deffo not any hair like tenticles comming out from it, heres a better close up

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Looks like a volcano. Have you noticed any earthquakes or plumes of smoke and ash? :lol: Very interesting, though.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hng said:
Looks like a volcano. Have you noticed any earthquakes or plumes of smoke and ash? :lol: Very interesting, though.
:) the funnel in the centre is strange, gotta be some sort of critter and not a dune made from flow

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Matt_b said:
:) the funnel in the centre is strange, gotta be some sort of critter and not a dune made from flow
I agree Matt_b, it reminds me of the mound that a bivalve would make when it's buried in the sand. Something is in the sand, it's displacing sand up and out. The only way to find out would be to dig it up, but that would probably harm it. Unless someone else thinks it's a bad thing, I would just enjoy looking at it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hng said:
I agree Matt_b, it reminds me of the mound that a bivalve would make when it's buried in the sand. Something is in the sand, it's displacing sand up and out. The only way to find out would be to dig it up, but that would probably harm it. Unless someone else thinks it's a bad thing, I would just enjoy looking at it.
I always give hitchhikers a fair chance :) i was proud of my first aip :)

I'm starting to think its a leak now:eek: even though theres no water anywhere!!

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Leak doesn't make sense to me. Something like that would be formed by water flowing up through the center. Unlikely a leak would cause flow like that.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hng said:
The sand in the 'vent' seems to jiggle about so maybe your not far off with that statement, can gas build up in a 2" sb and vent out??

I keep comming up with bizzar theories about what it could be :D

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't get me wrong, i think its pretty mad that theres something living in my tank that i have no clue what it is!
Thats the great thing about Salt water and Live rock, you never know whats gonna pop it's head up, i've never been so happy at 5am before i go to work :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Could it possibly be an alien!?!?!? haha nahhh

I'm thinking maybe you have sumthing that comes out when the lights are off if you've never seen it happen. Try looking around that mound wit a flashlight while your lighting is off or at nighttime. Maybe you'll see something interesting... and if you do see it, have a camera handy!!! :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts