The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I know nothing!
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've got a very unhappy xenia, I've had it 6 months or so, and it has been doing quite well, having split twice, and growing well. around the middle of Dec. I took a piece that had detached from the main plant and moved it to my frag tank 'fuge. There it has happily started to grow. Dec 26th I bought Mushrooms, Zoas, and a yellow toadstool leather. Everything has been going well with everything, with a exception of some HA on a GSP, even the older corals in the tank have been very happy looking. Then about a little over a week ago, I moved some true peppermint shrimp to my main tank, and increased my skimming. These are the only major changes to happen about the time the Xenias stopped opening, and started to look pathetic. It has affected all the Xenia colonies in the main tank, but the frag in the frag 'fuge has been just as happy as always. My current theory is that it isn't a water quality issue, as the the frag is happy, but that something in the main tank is causing the problem. I'd remove the Xenia to a different tank, but the rock it is on is at the base of my entire tank, and removal would take hours and disturb the entire tank. My main thought is that it is the peppermint shrimp causing the problems, and am attemping to capture and remove them to one of the other tanks by trapping. If not could it be that my Cabbage coral has put out a "sweeper" in responce to the Zoas, and is getting the Xenia because it is closest? or could the yellow toadstool be doing it? any other culprits I should be looking for?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Believe it or not, increasing your skimming can make xenia unhappy. They like the water a litte..."dirty"...so to speak.

·
I know nothing!
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have read that, but shouldn't the one in my fragging 'fuge also be affected if it were water quality issues? well I got one of the shrimp, and almost got the other, I'm hoping to see a change shortly if it was the shrimp.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've never had one, but I am almost positive a cabbage coral does not have sweepers being that it is not a LPS coral. Never had xenia before either, but I have read that colonies sometimes can just die off. Also look at the corals at night with a flash light. Most pests eat our corals at night.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
Chris is right! I use to frag every week to keep it from taking over my tank.Once I got a better skimmer ,they are all gone!

·
I know nothing!
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
but I am almost positive a cabbage coral does not have sweepers
I would have agreed before reading this artical and several other witnesses

These two defense mechanisms are utilized predominantly by hard corals. It is only until recently that sweeper tentacles have been observed in the soft corals. I had never read or heard about soft corals producing these tentacles, but in my friend Dr. Michael Fontana's 1000 gallon reef aquarium I observed a Leather coral (Sarcophyton sp.) producing very fine sweeper tentacles that were irritating a nearby zooanthid colony. This tentacle did not appear to be as well defined as the sweeper tentacles produced by the stony corals, but they appeared to produce the same result.
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_....asp?ast=&key=

Ok, well, if they don't improve quickly, I'll try moving them to a tank that might have dirtier water. But that is last resort.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
You might add a little iodine to the water if you aren't already, xenia seems to thrive in high iodine. Because you are having some hair algae you might want to check your phosphate levels and/or run activated carbon to clean up any toxins in the water. Just a suggestion.

HHC

·
I know nothing!
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, in case anyone has similar problems or is still interested in this thread, I will back up and go over it again, hopefully someone might spot something I missed. First Tank Specs. 35 gallon main tank, 3 'fuges, total system volume 75 gallons See attached photo, it will be refured to later.

tank layout.jpg

Water Quality:
Nitrates : Undetectable
Phosphates : Undetectable (test kit suspect)
PH : 8.3 avg
Ca : 370-400
Dkh : 8
Temp. : 78-80 Stable
Flow : 700 GPH through main tank 500GPH in tank PH

All tanks except 'fuge2 BB. 'fuge2 has 1" fine crushed coral.
No real problems with HA except on the GSP, believe the rock it is on is leaking phosphates. rest of the tank, some slight HA but haven't even had to clean the front glass in 2 months.

Timeline of Events:

Prior to 8-1-06 :
Tank critters: Alantic flower anemone, GSP, Ricordia (medium rock) A few hermit crabs and snails.

9-11-06:
Purchased Capnella tree coral, Emerald Crab, and yellow tailed damselfish.

9-15-06:
Purchased Cabbage Leather Coral frag, Tomato Clown and Xenia Frag.

10-15-06 :
Xenia Splits

12-3-06:
Frag a chunk of the Xenia moved it to 'Fuge2, Grows well.

12-26-06:
Purchased Zoas (dark green/brown with lime eyes), red discoma, and yellow toadstool leather, 2 mexican turbo snails.

12-30-06:
Purchased 3 true peppermint shrimp , put into 'fuge 2 to make sure they wouldn't bother anything.

1-4-07:
Moved Peppermints to the main tank, rebuilt skimmer, increasing efficency of the skimmer.

1-8-07:
Xenia in the main tank starts showing signs of stress.

1-10-07:
moved xenia frag from 'fuge2 to 'fuge1

1-13-07:
Moved Cheato from 'fuge1 to 'fuge3, turning 'fuge1 into a frag tank,

1-15-07:
Xenia still stressing, removed the peppermint shrimp as suspects in xenia issue back to 'fuge2. Interastingly the Capnella has shown some reactions as well. It went from being open 6-8 hrs a day, to being open almost 24hrs a day. hrs after the lights go off, it still remains fully open, seems also to be darking in color as well.

1-16-07:
No change as yet, removed from the rock one of the smaller Xenia colonies, moved to 'fuge2- If water in main tank is now too "clean" for Xenias, the slower water moving across a less clean sandbed might help, if they improve, not the shrimp. The original frag in frag tank still looks well.

1-18-07:
The new frag that was moved to 'fuge2 has shown some small signs of improvement, having opened more than I've seen in many days, still looks really sad, but a little better. In the thoughts that It is the skimmer, I've cut the air by 2/3. Hopefully this will allow for the Xenia to stablize, if it does, I will frag it off the rock it is on, as removal of the rock is not feasable, and move it to a place where it might get a little dirtier water, just don't want to do it while it is already having issues. I'll rehookup the skimmer in a few days.

Any comments?
Chris

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I have several growing in my pod and one group is doing very well while the others are not. Ever so often they shrink up like this for a few weeks then bam they revive. The stuff grows so fast I don't worry anymore.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
The xenia in my nano tank comes and goes, some bunches grow well and others wither and die. The water quality is very good but I have no idea why this happens. In my 135-gallon reef tank, my pulsing pink xenia grows like a weed, we have to prune it every couple of weeks or it takes over the tank. I put extra iodine in there and it loves it -

HHC

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
The xenia in my nano tank comes and goes, some bunches grow well and others wither and die. The water quality is very good but I have no idea why this happens. In my 135-gallon reef tank, my pulsing pink xenia grows like a weed, we have to prune it every couple of weeks or it takes over the tank. I put extra iodine in there and it loves it -

HHC
Are you sure about the idiodine? I've heard never to add it to the tank.

·
I know nothing!
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good rule of thumb, if you can't test for it, don't add it. I can't test for Iodine, so I don't add it. well, rarely. I did add a half dose of a "weekly" addition, but only just once, and only after heavey skimming for 2 weeks, I hear Iodine is quickly removed by skimmers. don't think that little would do much harm, but a most of the crabs, ans shrimp have recently molted, doubt that it is too low.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts