The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,
Looking to see if I can get some thoughts. Started a RSM250 in FEb and have added five fish and about 8 pieces of corals, inverts, polyps etc....

I started getting this brownish, redish hair looking algae and I've tried changing my RO filters, adding a Vortech pump into the tank. I just did a full test and Salinity is 1.026, ph 8.3/8.4, nitrites 0, ammonia 0, nitrates between 10 and 25 and I even bought a phosphate kit and it seems to be very low if any. I have a chiller unit working. I was trying to keep the temp around 78/79 and have bumped the temp up to 80ish to see if that would do anything. My calcium seems to be between 450 and 500 on the high side. I tested twice and once it never turned blue and the second time I put the whole syringe in (red sea kit) and that's apparently 450 or 475. I bought the Vortech hoping that mimicing the ocean's currents would make them vibrant and grow and they just don't seem to want to open up fully. Some pieces have minor hair algae growing but I'll turn the Vortech up to see if that will loosen those off and it does.

Any thoughts? I took the ceramic filter beads out of the RSM and just have the two sponges and some carbon in there and letting my live rock do the rest.........

I do about 20% water changes every week and do vacuum the sand bed. The algae obviously goes away but comes right back in the next day or two.

It doesn't seem as bad as it did but I've done about 5 water changes since really noticing and it's only helped a bit.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Is it reddish brown algae on the sandbed like cyano or diatoms? If it comes back immediately after a wc, there is some kind of excess nutrient issue going on. Do you have a sump or refugium with a macroalgae?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! Well I have the RSM250 and there are 4 sumps in the back of the tank that house the powerheads, skimmer and heater. What I'm wondering is because I had trace elements to my tank for my corals would that count as nutrients? I hear or see so many people on here say that you don't need to add that junk because your salt has the elements in it. Then I hear you need to add on top of that.....I just did two water changes in 4 days AND took a turkey baster and blew off all the gargabe off my rocks and corals the best I could and then I cleaned both sponges that come with this setup to see if I could see a difference. I'm sure the brownish-reddish stuff will come back but I'm curious to see if it comes back a little or the same. I was going to stick my vacuum sucker down in the sumps but I figured that water is part of the tank water anyway so just drew it from the tank and the gravel bed.........I was doing so good too for while there.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Hmmm, nitrates are a little high but nothing bad that would cause the constant blooms. How old is the tank? Almost every tank goes through an algae bloom while it matures. Also how big is the tank? More info would help to try to narrow it down. I have to ask, you are using ro/di water or distilled?
The trace elements don't count as nutrients and using the salt mix is all you really need unless you are growing specific species that need extra dosing. Your levels seem good so you might not need to dose anything extra. Nutrients would be detrimus and other build up like fish waste, left over food, etc. How often do you feed your fish?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tank is 65 gallons, been up about 4 or 5 months. I used to feed every day or every other day but now have cut way back. Now it's about one frozen cube every three or four days.

Now since I replied to your reply I can already see the gravel start to accumulate the fine hairy stuff and it's been maybe 3 hours since I disturbed the bottom and got the sand white again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts