The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so most of you know, due to my lack of attendance lately, i've been unbelievably busy lately. with shutting down my studio, the camping trip, and now the job hunt, let alone trying to get my 75 tank and stand done, and building a canopy for steve....

well today a thought crossed my mind, well, actually more than a thought.

i may NOT finish my 75 :eek:

i'm now considering using the 75 for my fw sharks since they need a bigger tank. and now considering the option of building a ~240 gallon tank out of plywood/acrylic :eek:

IF i decide to do it, it the tank would be built into/set on the stand i just built, but would have the top cabinet unit removed. it would still have the 20g refugium and the 20g sump, and would still hold the same canopy on top.

tank would be 71" long, 30" tall, and 24" deep. am i nuts?

the only saving grace here is that i may put my house on the market, now that i'm about done with it. if i do, then i would hold off on construction until i find the next house, hopefully with a basement, so i can build something even bigger !!

if i did so, then i would keep the existing unit as is, and use it for my sharks, then build the new big tank 300+ gallons, and make a new stand to suit.

so at this point i really need someone to tell me this is nuts, dont do it, whatever. jsut anything to stop this madness before i continue :D otherwise, i'm cancelling the whole idea of the 75 reef, and starting plans for something bigger.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Heheh... most people get upgrade envy a few months after they redo their tank... with Jay it happens before the current one is even finished. :D

Looking at the bills I have for just my 55g, I'd say you're insane... but then again who wants to be sane... :D

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
i thought mojo was bad!

all i can say is that having a 55gal tank for over 15 years has taught me a lot about SW keeping. i would suggest keeping the 75 and going through with it for a couple of years, just for experience sake. you can earn a lot of stuff from the people here, but nothing still beats personal experience. this is an expensive hobby, as you know, and i would hate to see you get most of the way through such a large tank and then change your mind. i know you had some bad luck with the 55 and copper, and you fought through that admirably. you have done such a good job in designing the 75, but you have no idea really how good or bad the design really is. this is one of those things that only time could tell. granted these people can help you if you come across problems, but in a ~240 these problems could be a lot more dissasterous.

Just some friendly advice,

G~

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Geoff said:
......i would suggest keeping the 75 and going through with it for a couple of years......
YEARS!!!!???? a couple of YEARS!!!!????!!!!! NOW who's insane :D

Originally posted by Reefer Addict
......most people get upgrade envy a few months after they redo their tank... with Jay it happens before the current one is even finished......
:D i figure this way, i never have to worry about corals dying, since i'll never have a tank established long enough to put one in :funny:

·
Registered
418 Posts
BANG!

Jay, I would run your 75 that you have almost everything for anyway, then once you run that successfully for a year at least build your new tank and move what you have over and go from there. Good luck whatever you decide

·
Registered
778 Posts
jay, you have "reefer madness", and in badway too! :eek:
yeah, and i'm a prime example too;)

big t is right, you really need to finish what you started, and get the hand-on experience. big tank failures are costly!
:cool:

·
Registered
277 Posts
hmmm i had a 55 for about 8 months, then the 75 for about 8 months and now im planning a 300+. trust me, i can relate!

·
Super Moderator
28,376 Posts
Egad, Jay! You really are nutz asking this group that question. I think most would say go for it, but then there are a precious few who give you the voice of wisdom to help you ease into your plan.

Ms careful here votes with Geoff and bigt :)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
actually i dont have anything for the 75 yet. the only thing i have for it is the tank itself. i have no pumps yet, no skimmer yet, no rock yet. just a tank and stand. and the stand was built to accomodate the bigger tank when necessary :D

i already had the sump and refugium tanks, so those weren't bought for this project.

i'm up in the air on what i'll actually do at this point. but it looks as though i wont set up either until i figure what's going on with the house. i dont want to setup anything then tear it down before it gets a chance to establish itself. so even the 75 will sit for a while. if i find a place with room for the big tank, then the 75 will go to freshwater, or it will be used as a small reef, and i'll makes omething really big and get a nice large fowlr going with fish that couldnt be used in a small tank. ya know, like orkas and dolphins... :D

·
Administrator
49,218 Posts
Cause you ripped out a nice 300 to GO LArge, after hosting the picnic and now everyone wants one ;)
JAy , buddy, I know this will fall on deaf ears, but keep the 55 or do the 75 and get comfy with it before doing a huge tank project

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
So, tell me Jay....why do you want a 300? you havn't even finished the 75 yet. So, since it would be safe to presume that you will want a bigger tank before you are finished with the 300, I say just go ahead and get a 500 gallon tank. :) It will save you the cost of building a stand for a 300. heh heh ;) But if you still want to get the 300, know that I call dibs on that tank and stand once you decide to upgrade to the 500! heh heh

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Jay,

I would also recommend getting some hands on experience with the 75 before you move up again. Once you get that hands on experience you will be a lot more prepared for a larger tank.

Andrew

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.