The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!

I made some progress....I installed my plumbing, added my sandbed, and even water!

Now for my question....My return is pumping foamy/fizzy/bubbley water back into the tank! I don't know if you can tell from this picture with my sandstorm going on. Any suggestions? Is there too much water pressure?

Thanks!

Steve

·
Registered
790 Posts
Is your pump coverd with water in the sump ? Also, make sure all of your hose connections are tight. I know what you are saying. That happend to one of my power heads. Also what kind of pump do you have ?

-Paul

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
yup. that's what mine did at first. check the following.

is the pump COMPLETELY submerged in the sump?
are all your hoses tight.
are any/all pvc connection sealed well.
is there a skimmer in the sump?
if so, does it empty near the return pump?

for me it was the last, i had the skimmer discharge too close to the return, so the return was pumping all the fine bubbles into the tank. once that was resolved, then it did the same again after a few days, turns out, as water was evaporating from the sump, the pump exit was out of the water, and it was sucking in air. i turned the pump on its side, and solved the problem.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will check all of what you guys said when I get home. Protecting and serving right now. lol I think my pump may not be all the way submerged. Thanks guys...you guys always come through!

Steve

·
Registered
790 Posts
Also I would prime my sump and find out where to top off to so if the power goes out. I did that last night and have about 1" off the top when the power turns off.

-Paul

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am a little bit nervous.....I think when I put more water in the sum my pump kicks into overdrive and begins out pumming my overflow. Well we will see tomorrow!

Thanks again!

Steve

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
sounds like you need to throttle back the return pump, or put a bigger drain line on the overflow.

what size drain line is currently on it? internal or external overflow? what return pump?

the pump is pumping more/faster because it is now pumping pure water instead of water AND air..

mine was the same way, when i upped my drain line to 1 1/4" it fixed the matchup. otherwise, you could overflow the tank. :eek:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GRRRRR......Jay thanks for the bad news! lol

I have a 1inch external U-Tube overflow.....and a 1/2 inch return line. I think I have a Mag-7 pump.....like 600GPH or something. I'm not sure. I am gonna have to go home and check. What do you think?

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I could be wrong about that Casey.........grrrrrr I hate working!

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts