The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi people my tanks is a 110 gallon tank as been running for 4 months now. had a bit of a problem with ich at the start but i did hyposalinty to cure it. which is all cured now. was lucky only had a bit of live rock and no corals .
im going shop tomorrow to get a load of live rock was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to build the rock in my tank any ideas would be much gratefull i will be putting coral in aventually too any idea on coral would be great. here are some pictures of my tank now.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
as no one got any idea's? getting rock tomorrow and would love some peoples advice how to set it out and diffrent designs?? thanks.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Well unless the rock is already cured and you plan on hauling it wet, your tank is going to cycle again. Even if you do the above, it will most likely go through a mini cycle. Do you have another tank set up to move your fish into. Also, i couldn't blow up your pics any larger but it looked like you might have some of the coral eating fish in there.

You can do a search on here for pics of peninsula builds, atolls, double atolls. There are many formations. Another thing to consider is also rock lifts to get flow underneith the rockwork.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi shaggy13 yeah the rock is cured what would if i added it slowly a bit at atime would it stll go through the cycle again? how do i search for this pictures on here then?
and what do you mean by corals eating my fish haha because there small do you mean? i am going to add more powerhead ive only got two koralias 4 in there in the moment going to add another 3 to get the movement round the bottom.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Well anytime rock is moved, the deadspots that where not exposed to water flow will have some dieoff and the bacteria will need to reestablish. Also, if there are any sponges growing on the new live rock, if they get exposed to air, they will most likely die causing a cycle. I think if you add the rock slowly it will prolong the cycle but it might not be as dramatic at once than adding all at one time. And if you add it slowly, over a couple of weeks, then you will still need to have a tub and aerate the other rock to keep it live until it is added into the tank. So, either way you MOST LIKELY will have a mini cycle. Not saying that it might not either but most likely.

As far as the fish you have, it looks like their might be some specimens that eat corals in there. That Angelfish might be an issue depending on what types of corals you want.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i see what you mean so how much would you recommend me buying tommorow then? i cycled my tank wrong in the first place i added a fish to start my cycle which i know now was totally wrong way to do it. plus the fish add ich so when i added more fish they all got it. ive only just got rid of the ich problem thats why ive not got alot of rock coz i thought id wait and get rid of it.
ive now found a decent shop that quaratine all there fish before you buy them so shouldnt get ich again. do want to get a quaratine tank my self soon.
i got told that the angle fish which is a koran might be ok with coral and if not can take it back. other fish are 2 clown fish, bannerfish, sailfin tang, thats it not going to add anymore fish now still rock build is right.
how do search for these build you was talking about mate?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Towards the top right of the forum page, is a link called "search" click that and then type in whatever you feel like searching and it will bring up every thread that was ever ritten about certain keywords. Good luck

As far as the rock goes, if you have the option to just buy certain amounts, then i would go with 10 lbs every few weeks. Since the liverock wasn't your current filtration, what do you have on the tank currently for a filter?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok worked it out now new to all this still thanks. ill go with what you saiid and buy little amounts so it hopefully doesnt upset my tank. ive got a ehiem professional 3 canister filter which i now know are nitrate holder unless you clean them out often. i have 36 watt uv sterliser and a protein skimmer. still got to get my light convertion only got 2 t5 at the moment so got to covert to 4 or 6 is that right??

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Ok, because you have large fish (or potentially large fish) I would try to get a 2 mountain, and valley look. Have 2 large "mountains" of rock, with a smaller stack in the center... something like this...
^^~~~~~~~~~~~~~^^
^^^^~~~~~~~~~^^^^
^^^^^~~~~~~~^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this creates plent of room in the middle and front for teh large fish to swim, but also allows for plent of corals to be placed. I couldn't do this in my tank because I did not have enough room.

Also, you can have a smaller hill in the flat section like this....

^^~~~~~~~~~~~~~^^
^^^^~~~~^~~~~^^^^
^^^^^~~^^^~~^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just a way to have more corals....

But if you like what I did with my tank, then use that. It creates plenty of caves throughout the rock work. Just some ideas....

·
13 years old and learning
332 Posts

if this picture shows up its the bonsai garden rock formation this guy made, it is really nice

if this picture doesnt show up google bonsai garden reef tank and it should be like the third picture from the right

·
Registered
773 Posts
If you plan on getting any fish that dig, make sure your rocks can't fall into the glass!

I have changed my rockwork once again, so there is an opening in the middle. This fish can swim all the way around the rocks in the back and sides.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts

if this picture shows up its the bonsai garden rock formation this guy made, it is really nice

if this picture doesnt show up google bonsai garden reef tank and it should be like the third picture from the right
Please tell me that isn't a 14 gallon tank with not just one but two Tangs!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
uh ohhhh.... I think loverotties is proooobably about to lose his head...

Looking at the tank size, in perspective with the size of the koralia pump in the corner... it's a small tank :mad:

loverotties... lets HOPE that tank was just a quick holding tank, and that those tangs ended up in a MUCH larger tank within days of that photo!

*fingers crossed*

-Scott

1 - 20 of 59 Posts