The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I added a new Circ Pump Koralia 550 to my tank that already had a Maxi Jet 900..1000 GPH. 1550 total. I pretty much have the 1000 aimed at the surface to give it good movement. I do not run a skimmer so I do weekly 10% water changes.

Well after I added the second one I have a lot of debris and I am guessing it will cause a mini cycle. I only have a CUC and I have no Skimmer. I bought a Hydor Slim Skim but looks like I will not be using it. Is there another way to remove this debris? I am sure it will settle but it seems like their is just a lot of it. Will this cause a cycle, because I was looking to add 2 clowns, wednesday, 3 weeks after the CUC, 8 weeks after starting the tank.

I also have a glass lid, will this hurt the O2? It is not very far from the water surface, but I would like to keep it if it does not cause any harm, cause I know these crazy fish like to kamikaze the floor.

one other question...kinda dumb....but can snails get stuck in the live rock and die? my turbo is sitting in a weird spot most of this afternoon, thinking it could be stuck. should I pull it out? it looks like it could be a PAIN to reach, but I will for his safety...Let me know fokes!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Can we get some more info like the size of the tank? Are you testing parameters? You shouldn't have "debris" after only 8 weeks. The skimmer takes DOC (dissolved organic compounds) out of the water before they clump up and turn to debris and begin to form detritus so even if the one you have isn't the best I would still use it anyways it couldn't hurt.

As far as the lid I didn't like mine sealed either so I went to home depot and bought the kit for making window screens and made one to fit over my tank that way you get good gas exchange and at the same time stop fishes from jumping.

Leave the turbo alone, he usually moves around at night and I have seen mine "Stuck" in one spot for days then all of a sudden he is on the move again. Even if you wanted to you wouldn't be able to pull him off and if you did you might hurt him.

Your tank should still be cycling I would hold off on adding livestock at least until you know what your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are at.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
44G Corner Pentagon, I have a build tank thread. I haven't used the Skimmer as it really couldnt fit where I wanted it. Also I cannot use the Lid w/the skimmer. and my Turbo has moved today, so he is all good. thanks for the respond and I believe I will do the same with a home built lid. Thanks Protodope!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts