The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you know my tank crashed on the weekend, still don't know the exact cause. I managed to get most of the fish and a third of the coral out and they are currently being housed at the LFS. Hopefully getting better. So the devastation isn't as bad as I had originally thought. Gives me alot more hope in rebuilding. Going to let the tank cycle again before reintroducing the livestock. How long do you think it will take to cycle the tank after a crash?

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Glad to hear that you didn't lose everything. The length of the new cycle depends entirely on how much die off was caused by the transfer. Being that you experienced some major loss I'm inclined to believe that you'll have a cylce of a month or two. How long were the rock and sand out of the water?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both rock and sand were transfered to buckets of the established water immediately. So essentially a few minutes between the transfers. I've started using Stabilize by SeaChem to help with the cycling.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
That's very strange. In theory you shouldn't have much if any cycle since everything was already cured. But, on the other hand your tank experienced some major die off. Your rock was transfered in water so it should have experienced minimal die off. Fish and to some extent coral live for a couple days in bags. I'm assuming that your fish and coral weren only in bags for a few hours so they should have been fine. How much of the old water did you transfer over? How large of a tank? What was the temp and salinity of the replacement water?

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Glad to hear that you samed some critters! Keep us updated, K?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The original tank was a 90g and I transfered into a 95g with 90% of the original water. The temp when I finished transfering the coral was, if I recall correctly, in the low 70's. The water cooled off fairly quickly.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Marella said:
The original tank was a 90g and I transfered into a 95g with 90% of the original water. The temp when I finished transfering the coral was, if I recall correctly, in the low 70's. The water cooled off fairly quickly.
Now we're on to something. I would be willing to bet that a combination of the stress from being captured/ moved coupled with the cold water caused the die off. Just wait a couple weeks and then check your parameters(Ammonia,Nitrite,Nitrate). If Ammonia and Nitrite are 0 you should be good to go.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
I am going to have to agree with Platypus on the time if he is right on what caused it.

Another thing that can cause a crash like this in moving is transfering sand without washing it out really really well. Sand often builds layers of waist and waist processing, and when disturbed it can cause a mess and ammonia. If this is the case it may take a bit longer.

Keep an eye on ammonia, nitrite and you will know wen it is time. Don't add all the fish back at once, do it one at a time and add corals last.

Whiskey

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
after a major crash like that, i prolly would have done a near 100% water change. i also would have gotten rid of all sand and put new sand in.

i prolly would have also started recycling the LR. a major crash like that will cause a major recycling of the tank. there are sponges and other critters deep inside the LR that prolly died. all of this would have caused a recycling of the tank. this can also take a couple of weeks.

take your time getting things back to normal.

still trying to think of what could have caused your crash. from the description of the cloudy water i am going to guess either heat spike or O2 depletion. if for some reason your pumps stopped working and the water went stagnant it would cause a massive die off like that and the bacteria could have gone nuts giving the cloudy water you have seen.

G~

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I'm glad you didn't lose every thing! My LFS just recently burned :< I have to wait six weeks before they reopen - I'm going nuts, they have been most helpful in the past. Good to hear your LFS was willing to help too.

HHC

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help. I won't be returning the fish for at least 2 more weeks (3 weeks cycle time) depending on the water conditions. As for replacing the lost corals, probably wait a few months. The only fish I couldn't get out of the tank was my dragon goby because it would dart under a new rock everytime I tried to get it. I gave up trying because I had to leave for the LFS before it closed. However, the goby seems to be doing well. I see him swimming about all the time, hardy little bugger.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
The fire must've been horrible, I know the place well - - it started near a 500-gallon bow cichlid tank. As I recall there was a 24-gallon nano there with some weird lights on it, maybe they were the issue - ? I called them and talked to them, they said hopefully in six weeks - yikes! No other decent retail places in this area!

Thanks, I'll pass on your condolences, they lost a TON of animals....

HHC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts