The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Just finishing an upgrade to a new tank and I saw a great deal on a solarextreme 4x39 watt T5HO with 6 led moon lights. Built in digital timer, individual reflectors, ceiling mount kit. It looks sweet! Upgrade from pc's. Anyone here of this fixture? Is solarextreme a good quality company? Thanks

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
It's produced by a somewhat new company called Deep Blue. Deep Blue is a brand sold by a wholesale distributor, Royal Pet Supplies.

I've seen a few of their products (not this light yet) and most have been pretty good. They also make tanks (which are really nice quality) and a few other things.

You may not find too much experience with them since Deep Blue is a new company. The fact that the wholesale company is the manufacturing company allows them to offer very good prices on their products.

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jadinop, I keep getting conflicting stories on PC vs T5HO. I posted something like this before, get mix thoughts. Some even feel PC is better or more efficient than T5 (though I know par is much better than PC). My basic concern is a more energy efficient light that will cost less in the long run. I know T5 bulbs are much chaper, but I had found a good website for cheap EVL PC bulbs. But another concern is the bleaching of coraline I have been getting. With out getting into all the perams, I think my 2x 96 watt PC bulbs were causing the bleaching because the LR towards the back of the tank is shaded (as well as any nooks and crannies that get shade and not direct light) have beautiful deep purple and red coraline much like some of the nicer tanks on this site. Do you think the par values of T5 will improve that?

Also, do you agree with people Ive talked to that in a 30" deep 38 4x39 watt T5's will do a good job with LPS/softies? Thanks for your help, and sorry if I... am beating a dead horse here. Just want to make sure before I drop another $250

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
xmatt, post when you get it! I would love to here what you think. I am expecting the 36" sometime durring the week. I will post pics and leave my very amateur thoughts ;)
What I like most is the timers and the fact you get 6 leds. Any one sees this and has seen this light, let me know what you think on the quality of the timer. My guess is at this price range, it may be a bit cheap. But can't say till I can see it in person. Also, I read on a forum that the automatic surge/fault shut off is pretty annoying. Light does a self check on start up and if a fault is found shuts down. I don't know if all the newer lights do this but that sounds problem prone.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
PC is dead in my opinion. Less output, shorter bulb life and expensive replacement costs. There is no reason to stay with this outdated type of lighting.

A 4 bulb T5HO over a 30in deep tank is a moderate amount of light. It will be better output than the current PC setup but will still be limited in what you can keep on the bottom areas.

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay guys, my solarextreme deep blue light just came today. Very excited!! I don't have time to check it out on the tank yet. Initial impression is good. Timer is cool, though again not sure if it is quality. The 6 blue LED's are nice for a cheaper model light IMO. It came with stock bulbs, 2 12000K and 2 actinic 03. I turned it on but cant get a good feel for color until its on the tank. One thing I am HATING on is the mount legs. I didn't get the cieling mounts out of fear of disaster but these legs kind of suck. Sturdy enough, but you have to use a hex wrench to tighten a bolt through a mount and into the leg. Took at least 15 min to do all 4. Why would they make it a hex bolt?? To make things worse, you have to take off the legs to get access to the bulbs! I guess for the price though of $175 and free shipping I can't complain. Just hope the ballasts are good!

I will post pics as we upgrade our tank this week. BTW, these deep blue stock bulbs, I have heard stock bulbs are pretty much trash, but hate to just buy new ones and trash these. Will they work well with good out put at least for a while? Thanks guys! You all rock

·
Registered
3 Posts
Help needed

So I'm hoping someone still answers this since it's been a year since anyone wrote on here. I just bought a 48" Solar Xtreme T5HO light and have no idea how to use it. I've set up the timer but I don't know if I'm using the lighting properly. I have one anenome and no coral so I don't know how long each of the lights should be on. Someone please help me I'm new to this hobby!

·
Registered
87 Posts
So I'm hoping someone still answers this since it's been a year since anyone wrote on here. I just bought a 48" Solar Xtreme T5HO light and have no idea how to use it. I've set up the timer but I don't know if I'm using the lighting properly. I have one anenome and no coral so I don't know how long each of the lights should be on. Someone please help me I'm new to this hobby!
I'm not 100% sure what you mean. If you're asking how long the lights should be on it is about 8 to 10 hours each day. With my solar extreme I program the actinic bulbs to come on an hour before the daylight bulbs and go off about an hour after. This give 10 hours actinic and 8 hours daylight. Hope this helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts