The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday on the sun, a magnetic filament snapped. The resulting explosion hurled a CME into space and sent beautiful waves of energy surging through the sun's atmosphere. Although the CME is not heading directly for Earth, the outskirts of the cloud might brush against Earth's magnetic field on July 23rd, causing a mild geomagnetic storm. Keep in mind that this type of solar activity may have been (in geological time) a source of stimuli for coral as well as terrestriali evolutions, albiet at higher levels of energy.

Visit http://Spaceweather.com to view movies of the eruption and for updates about the approaching CME.

·
Older Than the Cretaceous
163 Posts
Ok, as long as you did not get hit with any Tom was my worry :D

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BoomerMn said:
Ok, as long as you did not get hit with any Tom was my worry :D
HEH! shouldn't matter so long as the coffee is good and I get an occasional toasted blueberry bagel (should be easy with a stick and a solar flare or two :rolleyes: )

:D

btw, my alter-ego sees a slowdown on RC, what's the deal?

·
Older Than the Cretaceous
163 Posts
I get to see them all the time :D I even have some books them.

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
BoomerMn said:
I get to see them all the time :D I even have some books them.
I get to see them every once in a while as well...unfortunately not much down here given the all the light pollution. :( I'll be sure to go look tonight if it's not raining. :)

·
Registered
743 Posts
it is thouht that if a big enough one occurs the Earth would experince a mass extinction event (it may have happened in the past)

i guess this one missed thank goodness, it would kinda stink to just get my marshmellow toasted and then not get a chance to eat it. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts