The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have completed moving my reef to the 125g tank & now the 75 is sitting doing nothing. I will move it to the rec room in the basement but am at a complete loss as to what to do with it. I have a 125g reef and a 125g freshwater planted tank. What comes next?

Here are the things the family has suggested:

- A lobster - yes, we have been following the story of Leon the Lobster. That is interesting but I think the tank will be too small.

- A discus tank - beautiful tank but would require high temps and may be difficult in the basement

- A seahorse tank - I have access to a most excellent seahorse support guy but am unsure of the care requirements.

- A puffer tank - fresh or salt water - again little known about them and the level of care. Also food supply may be difficult to find.

- A species only tank - I have done cichlids to death - maybe tiger oscars? Again, that tank may get too small if I got two.

- Stingray - the tank is only 18" front to back so would likely be too small unless someone knows of a small species.

- Eel tank - Beautiful creatures but I am not sure I want to constantly try an keep them from escaping.

OK, your turn. Anybody got a vote for something above? Any one have a different idea?

·
Administrator
20,523 Posts
......OOOOOOOO....OOOOOOOOO......Oooooooow.....
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let it be a Jelly Bean Tank!!!!!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE......
Food Ingredient Natural foods Mixture Cuisine

Hack
:cool:

·
Administrator
20,523 Posts
NO......I haven't pulled the cork yet, only coffee.
Hack
Though I am on my 4th cup

·
Administrator
20,523 Posts
Seriously.....from experience, the excitement and thrill of a hobby can lead us soooooo easily down that path of 'over doing a hobby'. The initial joy and thrill becomes work/chore before we realize it, and the fun is gone.
But MAN, you got to admit there's not a lot of 75 gallon Jelly Bean tanks out there......you could start a sub forum.
Hack

·
Super Moderator
35,693 Posts
Rick - This is a fun thread!

First off, I’m going to nicks the idea of a jellybean tank. That’s just an excuse for Hack to come up and visit you and pretty soon all those jellybeans will be gone. 🤣

From your list, it sounds like the seahorse tag is the most doable.

But I’ll have to think more about it.

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not much of a sweets person so a jelly bean tank may not be a good fit. I thought about a beer tank but again, it may be too small for that....

You are right Hack. I don't want to get into a labor intensive tank. The 125 fresh water is almost zero maintenance but I do have the 125 reef and would spend my tank maintenance time there.

I also thought about a shrimp tank but the tank would usually be viewed from about 10 feet away so shrimp are likely small for that use.

I could just clean it out and grab some of my big fat goldfish from the pond. They are 4 to 6 inches long and super fat little critters. That would be lots of motion and color with low maintenance requirements. It would also be absolutely free.

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
33,737 Posts
I vote keep it saltwater. Seahorses would be cool in a 75 . Plenty of room you could have a decent number and still maintain water quality. But I would want to have a decent skimmer. Can’t remember if it’s drilled or not.
just not sure what seahorses are available in Canada. Ray Ford”RayJay”is in Canada. So I know you can get them

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I vote keep it saltwater. Seahorses would be cool in a 75 . Plenty of room you could have a decent number and still maintain water quality. But I would want to have a decent skimmer. Can’t remember if it’s drilled or not.
just not sure what seahorses are available in Canada. Ray Ford”RayJay”is in Canada. So I know you can get them
It is not drilled. It would be using the Fluval FX6 cartridge filter - it performed well when set up as a reef. That would be good for the seahorses as I could control and minimize flow. It would also be good for nems as I wouldn't need a power head.

I don't have any rock so that would be an expense. I was even considering a bare bottomed tank. Depends what finally goes in it I suppose.

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
33,737 Posts
Seahorses you can go and I recommend BB. Just put in fake corals and plants. As far as flow they can take more flow then people think. Areas of low and higher flow is best. Canister filters work do long as you keep up with maintenance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh I choose a discus tank. Since discus is shy and easily startled, I recommend decorating their habitat with plants and aquatic decorations. And it needs ideal environmental conditions to stay healthy and functioning, you need to implement a strong tank maintenance routine to keep the water fresh and clean for a long time. You can easily keep 7-10 fish in a 75-gallon tank, as long as there are no other tank mates.

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, my mind was made up for me Friday night. It is my birthday this weekend and my future SIL and youngest son showed up un announced on a serious mission to move the 75 down to the basement for me. It was downstairs and leveled out on it's stand in about 45 minutes. At this point they decided to inform me I was getting a lobster for my birthday. I will introduce Larry in a separate thread.

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We have been having this discussion on seahorse whisper about reflections and what the seahorses see . They don’t see a reflection. They see though the glass.
I have always wondered, I know the optics of my eyes are different than our aquatic friends. I have seen reflections looking in from the end of the tank. I suspect it is related to how much light is going into the tank and the light level in the room. Typically a bright tank and a dark room were needed much the same way as a one way mirror needs the viewing side to be dark.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts