The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Reef Geek
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what does everyone do when not working on fish tanks? I'll start I guess...

I work at diageo in Plainfield Il. We are a bottling facility that bottles distilled spirits. At our facility we bottle products such as captain morgan, smirnoff, Myers rum, Gordons vodka, crown royal, and more. Our company is huge and owns lots of companies such as guiness, ciroc, and Johnny walker....although these are made in our other facilities.

I am employed as an industrial maintenance technician....or a mechanic for short. Although I never really liked the term as just mechanic seeing as how my day could consist of mechanical work, electrical troubleshooting and repair, PLC troubleshooting, welding, or any other repairs to keep the line running. I have to work nights 6pm-6am which sucks but the pay and benefits are great and it's close to home. Can't complain too much.

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
I'm a freelance copywriter. Most of my work includes the phrase "wipes clean with a damp cloth".

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Helen, you could have sold me with 25% fewer voices in your head.

I made my living as a professional guitarist/singer for years.
Went 'Dairy Farming' for 20yrs.
Now Drafthorses, InnKeeping, radio, and looking to get Nancy to find another job to support this SW addition.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I work as a registered nurse in the emergency department...second career for me. First was as a shift supervisor for the old bank of vermont in their information technologies dept. Also spent 9 years playing saxophone in the army national guard.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'm a Housing Counselor. These days, that means mostly trying to help folks not lose their homes. In the long term, it runs more towards helping people prepare to buy a home, and hopefully reign them in to the realities that will prevent them from becoming victims of their own desires and the next housing bubble. I also now Manage my department with all the reports, grants, ordering, and petty squabbles that entails.

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
currently a sales engineer (cross between salesman and design engineer), but would like to get back to my former life of being a design engineer. I perform feasibility studies for customer specific requests for new options that they want added to their custom fire truck cab and chassis that we build, determine if we can offer what they are asking for and if so we price the options and maintain our sales configuration tool that has complex rules telling what options can and can't be used together.

My company also builds motorhome (RV) chassis, and have dabbled in the military market - built MWRAP (mine resistant ambush protected) vehicles, cougars, ILAV's (Iraqi light armored vehicles) and such (troop movers with big 50 cal guns mounted on top of them usually) that are used in Iraq / Afghanistan.

We also have sister companies that build the fire truck bodies (since we only do the cab/chassis), as well as a sister company that builds box trucks (think UPS / FedEx / USPS delivery type trucks) that we dabble in a bit to help them out...

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm a Car Salesman for Sunrise Chevrolet in Glendale Heights, IL

Hours are actually pretty good compared to other dealership (43-50 hours a week) and very flexible.

Before this I was a retail manager for at&t corprate.

·
Administrator
46,676 Posts
I am semi retired, ie on SS but work at a little country store 2 miles from home. That allows me to eat better and do stuff on occasion but mostly offsets the cost of my developing farm. I spent almost 20 years delivering oxygen and stuff for a medical company, then changed careers and went to work for Erickson AirCrane warehosing/support puke for big airiel fire fighters :) Sadly they shut new production down and laid off 130 people so I took early retiremnt

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
I am semi retired, ie on SS but work at a little country store 2 miles from home. That allows me to eat better and do stuff on occasion but mostly offsets the cost of my developing farm. I spent almost 20 years delivering oxygen and stuff for a medical company, then changed careers and went to work for Erickson AirCrane warehosing/support puke for big airiel fire fighters :) Sadly they shut new production down and laid off 130 people so I took early retiremnt
Doug, you should post a pic of that aircrane that used to be your AVITAR

·
Registered
482 Posts
In GlennF from Rotterdam, in the Netherlands
i am retired and spend most of my time doing things i love.
my hobby's are reef aquariums, sportcars, sportboats, and jetski's
till 2008 i owned 4 computer stores in 4 different cities.
keeping aquariums is my passion since i was 10 years old.

i just started my tank thread in here

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
I'm a project representative and construction engineer and inspector. Primary area infastructure, sanitation roads bridges ect. With the occasional building fun. But I'm not an engineer though ;)

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'm a police officer. Been a cop for 19 years. Started working in court, then corrrections, then patrol. I was a supervisor in patrol, now I'm a supervisor in the special operations division.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts