The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have way too many lad questions to bother just one person, so instead I thought I'd bother everyone :funny: I have a 4bulb t5 on a 72 gallon which is undersized anyway. I'm not a huge led fan but hopefully they will grow on me. Lets get into some questions...
-I want to use a piece of flat aluminum cut to the shape of my tank as the heat shield. Ok to do this?
-was thinking cree 21 xp-e and 21 xp-g . Enough light?
-would I need 3 dimmable drivers to do this?
-do I need the 2 color dimming controller if i have the dimmable driver?
-do i need the 60/80degree lenses? what do they do?
-whats the difference in the eln60-48d and p?
-do you need the thermal pads?
Sorry for all the questions but hopefully this will help out more people than just me....thanks James

·
Doc Holiday
2,373 Posts
The aluminum will be fine you need to consider fans.. 2" appart will help with heat sink..
80 degree is better but ther are 120 degree out there..
2 dimmable driver will do
I personally don't think 42 LEDs is enough. I run 12 in my sump 14"x14" for a frag set up.
Id suggest speak to mike at rapid led.. He'll treat you right.. and answer all ur questions

·
Doc Holiday
2,373 Posts
Also if you got the ddc for 75$ is well worth it for the dusk to dawn set up.. The ddc can run 3 drivers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Lenses focus light, without lenses the LEDs tend to spread their output over nearly 180 degrees, sensing a lot of light where it does no good. You want to focus the light where your corals are going to be.
I would say that's a little short on light, you could easily add half again as many.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.