The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm realizing more and more how I like having a skimmer ever since downgrading to my Aquapod. I have the lidded 64W PC model. I have 2 black & white clowns in there and i'm planning on having a decently large bioload, because I like a big community.

I'd like to ditch the sponges which are my only current form of filtration aside from the LR. I like that a skimmer will do a much better job of getting the detritus out of the water, especially since every time I take the sponges out to clean them, I get my hands soaked in poop along with it all releasing into the water column.

So what are my options here? I'm not very handy by any means at all, and I don't want a sump. I'd like to through a coralife super skimmer on there or an AquaC, but I don't think it's possible with the lid.

I'm considering the idea of trying to sell the lid of the AP, and just buying a PC fixture with legs or a sunpod-type MH and a HOB skimmer.

Anyone have any ideas for me? What skimmers will actually fit the back chamber of the AP?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I bought that thinking it would work great in my 6gal but it just wet skims way too much. Not worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
189 Posts
On my new 12 gal I hooked up the aqua C remora. It is a little bit of an over kill but works great!:agree:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nope you can't use the AquaC with the lid. I am in the same boat as you are. I want a skimmer for the AP. I tried the fission it's really not junk it just doesn't work as a skimmer. More of a micro bubble machine. Your best bet is to ditch the lid get the AquaC and get something else for lighting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes you would dremel some slots in the back to allow for it or you could just use a HOB style skimmer at night when the lights are off anyways. just prop the lid and hang it on. then in the morning turn it off drop the lid and begin your light cycle. clean out the skimmer and set it off to the side.. just a thought i might do that not sure.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Tim224DT said:
I wouldnt know becuase i dont have an AquaPod but is it possible to cut slots into the lid??

Tim
I looked into that when I got my Pod. It looks like too much work to get that done. You would have to take the skimmer out everytime you needed to open the lid. Plus where the light switches are located I don't think you could squeeze a AquaC in there. Oh I just looked again but you would have to take out a hinge also. Just doesn't look like an easy job. Upgrading to the 70 watt MH looks like the best option then just add the skimmer on the back. Maybe drilling a hole in the back and adding a sump would be easier. Anyone know if drilling would be an opition? Of course then I would need a new stand. :doh:

jipps, how is the temp in your tank with the lights on? Mine got way to hot (84-88 degrees) so I have the lid proped up and the feeding lid open with a fan blowing across just to keep the temps down.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With the central air at about 70-72 on in my house, my tank pretty much stays around 81-82 consistently, that's with the stock pump, a maxi 12 in the first compartment, and an aquaclear 30 behind the rocks. On a real hot day if it gets to be too hot, I just prop the lid open with a piece of plastic or something and all is well.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Yep have to keep my lid up too otherwise hits 84 within hour of lights coming on and rises from that. I am going to convert to the sunpod cause I too want to add the skimmer and eventually get some sps. Also If I have to leave the lid up whats the point in having it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Loverotties said:
I heard that Remora was going to come out with a mini this summer.
It's in the printed Marinedepot catalog and will supposedly be out in late June. I went with a remora (installed today). Hasn't started skimming yet though

1 - 18 of 18 Posts