1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
476 Posts
Uhhh...No brainer...the 180; of course!!
The 180 did not mention as to whether or not it had a skimmer. Still, get the biggest you can...you'll spend about the same money on either one to trick it out and get it finished so you might as well end up with a 180.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
I'd look at age of the tank, any obvious scratches (some are impossible to see until there's water in it, others disappear with water, so that's always a gamble), investigate the silicone. Chips. Etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So bigger is better? Do I need to compare equipment brands? What should I look for? Are there any questions I should ask the seller? Or things that I should avoid when choosing

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well bigger isn't necessarily better...it depends on what you want. I mean, nano tanks are cool too. As for me, I'm on my seventh tank and I always kept having to have a bigger tank because I wanted more stuff; but that's me.
I think the 180 is acrylic so if you're getting it empty you can buff out most scratches. The older acrylic was susceptible to yellowing and bulging but the newer stuff is not.

·
Registered
763 Posts
ive seen 180's that are 3/8" thick and warp easy and sell real cheap.....I use to have one that did..the front bowed out nearly 2" after 5 years.....sold it....

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Bigger is only better if you can afford the proper equipment and upkeep.

The acrylic 180 has some nice equipment. It's reef ready. The Tek light is nice but it's a 48in fixture over a 60in tank. The skimmer looks to be an ASM G3 (maybe a G2), not the best but certainly not bad. The sump has some usable space once you ditch the bioballs.

The 75 has a bunch of equipment. It looks like a HOB overflow or it's drilled at the top. Coralife 65 Super skimmer is slightly undersized. Sump looks a little DIY, can be good or bad depending on the DIY'er. The halides and chiller are a nice bonus. Can't tell much more from the pics.

For me it would be an easy choice, I dislike acrylic for display tanks.

edit, took too long typing. The 180 isn't an option now.

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
I too would consider the 75...looks to be in decent shape. I would ask to look at it first. Inspect the crud out of it! If all the seals look good, ballasts and other equipment are kept up nice.....then you have a deal. Usually......people either take care of there stuff or they dont......I know people in my reef club, that if i buy something from them......i know im getting quality stuff. Such as jadinop.....I bought my lights from him, and they may as well have came in the box, they were in absolutly perfect condition. Just make sure you look over it very very well.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Craigslist is a good way to go. Just be patient and keep watching. It's a buyers market for used setups and equipment now.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Looks pretty cool to me. I wonder what they mean when they say it has a plenum? I know what a plenum is but what are they talking about when they say one is already installed?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts