The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big woop right?? Well I need your help.

A couple months ago I started a website dedicated to the reef hobby. What prompted me to start the site was the amount of books I have here regarding the ocean and ocean life. With all these books I still come across tons of organisms that pop up in peoples tanks that are not in any books and take tons of digging before I can find out anything about them. So I started a web site to start cataloging all the reef organisms that show up or I (or we) run across. Now this is a big task to catalog that many animals, so I created the site wiki style.

For those of you who do not know what a wiki is, click here. The idea behind a wiki is that you leave the site open for others to edit and add to whenever they want. The site has been a lot of fun so far and it is slowly starting to take shape, and I am at the point where I need to get the word out there and get others into editing the site.

I am not making any profit off the site and am paying for it all myself. The reason I am doing this is to have that one easy source to get to in the hobby that has tons of information, I have been prowling the Pests and Hitchhikers forum looking for people who post questions get answers and have pictures of the organism. I then ask their permission to use the pictures on my site and do the research on the animal. Part of my reason for doing this is that I am looking for a career change in the next couple of years and I am enjoying the writing and research on ocean life (how far will and MBA get me in the aquarium world???)

This is the site, www.reeferspedia.com. Check it out and let me know what you think. I would appreciate it if you guys created an account and let me know what you think. Don't be afraid to edit or add things, some of the stuff there are just place holders and are not complete yet. If you want to add something all you have to do is type the name in the search category (i.e. nassarius snails) and if nothing comes up it gives you the opportunity to start adding info.

Either way I would appreciate everyones feedback. I would also like to thank Jodi for letting me do a post here about the site.

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I have been talking to GregT and there is a pretty good chance I will be moving this site over to the Reeftank domain and make it part of this site. That should be a lot of fun!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Reefer Dude said:
Well I have been talking to GregT and there is a pretty good change I will be moving this site over to the Reeftank domain and make it part of this site. That should be a lot of fun!
What a twisted idea of a good time... :blob:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts