The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yah, it was the a/c. We keep it at 72 :eek: But that's mainly because I have horrid allergies, and cool air keeps me from having sneezing fits, ect.. I run my halides less than 6 hrs a day. The only thing I have added was an air exchanger, but that wouldn't add $100 to the bill.

Without the temp at 72 and 2 fans on my tank, the water gets too warm IMHO.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
I hear that, even with the ac and 3 fans in the hood, and 1 in the sump, it still gets up to 82 degrees. It might get higher, but at 81 I start putting the ice bottles in the sump.

·
Ô¿Ô
834 Posts
First month I ran mine at 72, I switched it to 78 and the bill reduced dramatically, just an FYI. Also adding a attice fan and run at night will help alot.

Soltaker said:
yah, it was the a/c. We keep it at 72 :eek: But that's mainly because I have horrid allergies, and cool air keeps me from having sneezing fits, ect.. I run my halides less than 6 hrs a day. The only thing I have added was an air exchanger, but that wouldn't add $100 to the bill.

Without the temp at 72 and 2 fans on my tank, the water gets too warm IMHO.

·
Registered
894 Posts
We run ours at 75 for the same reasons. Two people in our family have asthma also. If we keep the allergies in check then the asthma is better controlled too.

Soltaker said:
mainly because I have horrid allergies, and cool air keeps me from having sneezing fits, ect..

·
Hooked on H20
525 Posts
Soltaker said:
no, she does ALL of the bills. I suck with teh budgeting :D

It was about $100 more than last month's
:idea:
Are you on a budget plan? We use Xcel and they have a budget plan the makes the payments pretty close to the same throughout the year rather than low in the winter and high in the summer.
We also are setup so that Xcel can shut off our AC temporarily if they need power for the grid and we get a discount/credit.

Worth a shot checking into, and would surely impress your accountant ;)
FWIW - our bill was only $7.00 more than last month.

·
Registered
387 Posts
125gal with 3 x 250w MH running 12 hrs a day. Tank water temp is constant between 81 and 82 degrees. At 82 degrees the Ranco turns on the only fan blowing over tank and turns it off at 81. Our AC runs all time. My electric bill never has major changes.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
My electric bill came this month and it was $220 more than last month! I called Excel and they came and checked the meter and found they misred the meter....I never use AC..I was ticked

·
Hooked on H20
525 Posts
Loralie said:
My electric bill came this month and it was $220 more than last month! I called Excel and they came and checked the meter and found they misred the meter....I never use AC..I was ticked
Oops:lol:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts