The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my baby snowflake eel. Also a few other pics. I will play around with the camera and hopefully get some more pics later. I took alot but most were blurry. Gonna get a tripod tomarrow. Wanted to make sure camera worked. Not to bad of pics from a 15 dollar camera. Had to move him to the main tank cause he managed to get into the hob of my qt tank. Couldn't get out of the tank but still didn't like him in the filter. He is between 6 and 8 Inches long.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
I love those guys... mine have always found a way into the sump... watch out because if they can they will jump out of the tank. if they do get out they will actually secrete a slime coat to keep themselves alive for a while. if you find him on the floor make sure you put in in the QT tank ASAP... they can sometimes make it.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no way out of the aquapod with it's canopy on. Now he may decide to go over the back into the filter compartment but it' alot bigger than the hob. So far he seems happy. He's my little tornado tho.The rocks are on bottom with sand around them but he is digging all the sand out from under the rock and making a complete mess of my tank. He's gotton most of the sand from under all the rock and not stirring it up so bad. The 90 will be sealed to. I will put egg crate on the 90.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i love those, he looks great, congrads. what size tank you keeping him in?

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I love snowflakes, they have such fun personalities and get to be like puppies after a while begging for food. They get big though, dig all the time and definitely require a big tank with a tight fitting lid!

HHC

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hummm great looking, looks like the twin to mine, he is little longer though almost 15 inches, yes mine jumped out one day right in front of me good thing a drawer was open he landed in there, and I put him back pretty quick, he was hiding probably from fear for the next 2 days. Also people tell me to watch them with small fish, it seems that since I removed my anenome 2 weeks ago, my clown was alone and has disappeared, and the eel was not out for the whole day, which is a sign that he has eaten, also have other small mia fish, probably my fault as I have had him over a year and he was used to me feefing him feeders and now I swithed to shrimp, anyway good luck with him

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
wait... hes just in the aqupod until you get the predator tank up and running, right? (they can grow almost 2 1/2 - 3 ft over time)

Very cute eel thou :)

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes he's going in the 90! Only in the pod til up and running.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
its gonna be pretty hard to take him out once you are ready to transfer him, but anyway great addition..

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nah, I'll just take the rock out cuz other stuff from the pod will go in there too. Plus there are a couple peices of rock that are just ugly to me. I will use those as base rock for the 90 and get some nicer peices for the pod. I want to add some small risers as well.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
oh, ok then that way he shouldnt be hard to get to at all....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quick suggestion on getting him out. When I had my snowflake I used to use a net to feed him. One because I had a Tomato clown that would steal food off a feeder stick before the eel got it. And two he became comfortable with the net as a source of food. If you ever need to catch them they swim right in to get fed and you scoop them out. Worked everytime with mine.

Nice looking Snowflake there. They are really cool fish. Keep that tank covered tight. Mine ended up jumping out on me. And I thought I had mine sealed up.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep thanks for the suggestion sounds good. Yeah the quy at the lfs put him in the little container they used turned away and he jumped out so I am aware of that. I grabbed him up and put him back while the guy was trying to get a net. Looked at me like I was nuts. I just treated him like my snake I used to have and grabbed his head and body.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Make sure you keep fingers away from the mouth. The can leave a nasty bite. Mine never got me, but I seen a few that did. It wasn't pretty. Very powerful jaws. Enjoy the little guy they are cool too watch.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
i really regret not getting a snowflake at marine fish and reef store when they were having their sale.......your pics make me jealous :)

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He really is great. I have to watch him tho anytime I go in the tank cause he will come out to check things out and I don't want him checking my fingers out! They like to stir up the sand alot tho so if you mind having sandstorms I don't recommend one. It settles quickly tho and he doesn't do it alot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts