The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how big will a snowflake get in a tank. I am going over my stock list and I think I may want one in my new tank. I know I need to keep fish that are bigger than its mouth.....

Anyone here have some info to share?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Snowflake

Snowflakes stay relatively small, especailly in captivity. Not sure how large they get but I think it is under 12 inches. Make sure you cover all your overflows....I lost one a few years back when he got into my one of my overflows. :(

Also not sure if you could keep one with Tunze Stream or any other type powerhead. You would probably need to use only closed loops for circulation,

ceige said:
So how big will a snowflake get in a tank. I am going over my stock list and I think I may want one in my new tank. I know I need to keep fish that are bigger than its mouth.....

·
Registered
363 Posts
ceige said:

Snowflake Eels are not Piscivorous (Fish eaters) they mostly eat Crustaceans (Crabs, Shrimp, snails), so any fish you keep should be safe, as long as you keep the eel well fed.

Here is a link to an article on Snowflake Eels.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/snowflakemoray.htm

As to size, Snowflakes can reach 30 inches in capacity provided you have a large enough tanks and don't stunt their growth.

They are also great escape artists, and at a foot length, can still fit through a half inchx half inch hole.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i kept a snowflake in a 55 for three years with no problems only a few fish for snacks. lol. he did jump out once and laid on the floor for about 10 min i would say but he was just fine after i put him back in. he was tame and would eat out of my hand all the time.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have kept a snowflake eel from 10" to it's current size of a little less than 30". And another from 8" to its current size of a little less than 24". They normally grow up to 30" in the wild.

Tank size for first is 60 gallons. The second is in the sump refugium. Around 10 gallons (refugium size).

Do they eat fish? Yup. But understand marine fishes know how to handle even a large 30" snowflake eel. They keep slapping Faith (the eel) on the face and tis signals Faith not to eat them. Now try putting a feeder carp (the eel enjoys that one). Once a roach dropped into the tank and .... yup...yuckkk....Faith ate that one too.

Snowflakes eat fresh squid, shrimp, abalone and crabs.

BTW none of my tank has a TOP cover. The eels are lazy fishes and mine never jumped out. And the only time an eel jumped out was when I was new to keeping them I made a noobie mistake of placing two inside a tank.

They are also very tolerant of water condition but don't take the extreme. Do aerate your tank (strong power heads and water turn over). LOTS of live rock, even base rock for cover. The eel decides how the tank will look. LOL!

Keep them happy with a live fish once in a while.

·
Registered
73 Posts
whats the best thing to feed them to grow them large. mine is a little longer than a foot now. we started feeding him krill when he was smaller but now he likes feeder goldfish a lot more. im looking to switch to something else maybe a little larger if he can handle it. hes up to eating 4 medium sized goldfish in one feeding now! any suggestions?

·
Registered
1 Posts

whats the best thing to feed them to grow them large. mine is a little longer than a foot now. we started feeding him krill when he was smaller but now he likes feeder goldfish a lot more. im looking to switch to something else maybe a little larger if he can handle it. hes up to eating 4 medium sized goldfish in one feeding now! any suggestions?
I would not normally feed them goldfish because they are not their "natural" diet of fish. Typically one or two is fine but not as the constant diet because it can cause liver issues for the eel, because of the makeup , if you will, of the goldfish. I would however suggest silversides and try to get your eel on frozen foods and a nice vitamin supplement to dip them in. It's usually cheaper that way and invariably less messy.

Feel free to ask me some more questions :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have kept a snowflake eel from 10" to it's current size of a little less than 30". And another from 8" to its current size of a little less than 24". They normally grow up to 30" in the wild.

Tank size for first is 60 gallons. The second is in the sump refugium. Around 10 gallons (refugium size).

Do they eat fish? Yup. But understand marine fishes know how to handle even a large 30" snowflake eel. They keep slapping Faith (the eel) on the face and tis signals Faith not to eat them. Now try putting a feeder carp (the eel enjoys that one). Once a roach dropped into the tank and .... yup...yuckkk....Faith ate that one too.

Snowflakes eat fresh squid, shrimp, abalone and crabs.

BTW none of my tank has a TOP cover. The eels are lazy fishes and mine never jumped out. And the only time an eel jumped out was when I was new to keeping them I made a noobie mistake of placing two inside a tank.

They are also very tolerant of water condition but don't take the extreme. Do aerate your tank (strong power heads and water turn over). LOTS of live rock, even base rock for cover. The eel decides how the tank will look. LOL!

Keep them happy with a live fish once in a while.

I know this is an old thread, but you really keep a snowflake in a 10gallon? That's do-able?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts