The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would you guys consider to be the minumum tank capacity for keeping a very small snowflake moray ?

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Its not so much how big he is now but, how big he'll be in a year. I probably wouldn't keep him in anything under a 55, Maybe a 40 long. They don't need lots of swimming room just lots of hiding places.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have one in a 50 breeder who seems to be quite content with his home. Mostly just stays in one rock and peeks out whenever I walk by or look at my tank. You might be able to do one in a 30 with LOTs of rock but you would want to upgrade when he/she gets bigger.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 30 long with a 10 sump. Guessing not ok , right? (dont have one yet, thinking about it)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
littleg182 said:
I have one in a 50 breeder who seems to be quite content with his home. Mostly just stays in one rock and peeks out whenever I walk by or look at my tank. You might be able to do one in a 30 with LOTs of rock but you would want to upgrade when he/she gets bigger.
I have a 30 with 40 lba of live rock. Will it eat gobies?

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 13" snowflake and 3" scooter blenny live together with no problems but my scooter blenny was in the tank months before I added the snowflake. Not sure if it makes a difference but It's a theory I have :) BTW my scooter blenny killed a yellow watchman goby the day I put him in there. MEAN [email protected]! As long as there are lots of caves and places the snowflake can hide his whole body then I think he'll be fine.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
zxcv123 said:
I have a 30 with 40 lba of live rock. Will it eat gobies?
It will eat anything it can catch/get its mouth around. I believe most eels are nocturnal. So when your fish are sleeping they're easy prey.

its either the eel or a blue spotted jawfish. What would you guys suggest?

Do you have a 4-5 inch DSB for the jawfish to build a home?

·
Registered
363 Posts
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/snowflakemoray.htm

Snowflake eels mostly eat crustaceans like crab, shrimp and snails. They may bite the other tank mates well feeding due to poor eyesight, strong sense of smell, but as long as it is well fed your fishes should be mostly okay (I say mostly because I have heard of instances of snowflake treachery: like a 2.5 ft snowflake eating a 5 inch Foxface Lo. I have a snowflake in a 37 gallon, but will be putting it in a 125 once I have it fully set up and cycled.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts