The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to purchase a snowflake eel. I have been doing research for quite awhile now, but I can not seem to find a thorough care sheet. I would like to hear from those who have or currently keep snowflake eels. Primarily I need info on type of filter, substrate, decor, diet, best place to purchase, and temperament, as well as any tips. I have been an exotic keeper for over 15 years now, I primarily have experience in herps. I am well equipped to care for this new addition, I would just like some professional opinions. Thank you kindly for any and all information.

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
How big is the tank you have? Snowflake eels tend to be very hearty eaters and will eat most meaty foods. I fed mine squid, octopus, clam, oyster, shrimp, and other things like that. You'll want good filtration (i.e. a good protein skimmer) since they do produce a lot of waste, but it will be hard to give any specific recommendations without knowing what size tank. Substrate isn't too important, just nothing too jagged. They are mildly aggressive eels. It depends on the specific eel, but in general, they are compatible with fish larger than their mouthes. Sometimes, you'll get a docile one that will be okay with all fish. Sometimes, you'll get an overly aggressive one that will actively hunt fish. It really just depends. Welcome to TRT!

·
screamin-reefer
286 Posts
the more you feed an eel the faster he grows - when they're hungry they start swimming around the tank - feed him enough to satisfy his hunger - new eels can be fussy - I had a large Japanese dragon eel go 89 days without eating - we took a fresh raw peeled prawn and stuffed it into his mouth -that's what it took but he ate good after that -put food on a skewer stick and put it in his face

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mine ate mostly frozen whole krill, but would eat anything. He grew fast. I kept him with a blue damsel and a clarkii clown. No aggression toward the fish. They need a tight cover on the tank. They are experts at escaping.

·
Registered
582 Posts
You will need at least a 50G tank to keep one eel. A sand bottom, or bare bottom would be ok. Eels can be very active eaters. They will roll around and create a large distiburbance in that area. Make sure any rocks are secure for the eel.

As far as filtration goes it depends on the tank size.

Is this your first salt water tank?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where do you purchase the food for the eel. Going with the smallest possible tank size, not to be cheap, just an issue of space with all my other enclosures. The eel will be the only occupant. I have had a saltwater tank but not in many years. Thank you for all the information

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am open to other eel species , but from what I've heard the snow flake seems to be the best choice as far as price and size. Any other species to consider?

·
Registered
582 Posts
The snowflake eel gets to be 2' in length so a 50G tank is the minimum. If you are unwilling to at least get that then don't bother with the eel. Is this your first saltwater tank?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Obviously I am going to do whatever is required for the husbandry of my pets. If 50 gal in the minimum then of course I will have a minimum of 50 gal. Not my first saltwater tank, but it has been many years

·
screamin-reefer
286 Posts
green wolf eel - zebra eel -yellow head eel are affordable. buy them small and feed lightly - don't concern yourself with maximum size because eels live for years - DON'T GET a tesselata eel unless you only want 1 eel and nothing else in the tank. I've had all of them over the years
I am open to other eel species , but from what I've heard the snow flake seems to be the best choice as far as price and size. Any other species to consider?

·
The Mechanic
606 Posts
Had mine for about 7 years. Got him small. About the size of a pencil. When I gave him away he was well over 2 feet and 1-1/2" diameter. Ate like a pig. Great fish. BTW he was in my 120.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Where is the best place to buy them?
Google places in your area or buy online at liveaquaria.com. You shouldn't be worried about buying one until you have a tank set up and cycled. But good luck. You will need to do some research on your own as well. We can't do it all for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have done my research. I have lots of information, all I am doing is checking with people who have personal experience and taking their advice instead of just reading care sheets online and books.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Mine grew from 8-18" very quickly. It was hard to get it to eat at first, but other than that they are a decent eel to own. I would feed mine by hand or with a skewer. They can tolerate a variety of water quality conditions. As long as you provide the correct sized tank with a tight fitting lid so they don jump.... they are kind of hard to kill. Lol!

·
The Mechanic
606 Posts
Fed mine krill, shrimp and silversides by hand. He was a little skidish at first but after a while he was cool with it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts