The Reef Tank banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had plenty of experience with marine collecting. I am currently a freshman in college studying Marine Biology at the University of New Haven. I recently saw a Snowflake Moray Eel in a lfs. It was about 4 inches long and looked pretty health. I was just wondering what size tank I could start him in. In my dorm room we are only allowed a 5 gallon. I haven't started one yet but am wondering if I can house him in that for at least the semester. I have a 29 gallon at home that I will move him to as he grows, and my old high school has a 300 gallon pelagic tank that he can move to if he becomes too large. I am just wondering if its okay to house him alone in the 5 gallon for a little bit. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

· Brutal Reefer
1,022 Posts
i got a tiny pencil snowflake eel back in the day. maybe 6" long and literally pencil diameter, within 6 months he doubled in size, they grow quickly. Mine is now probally 16" long and at least 1" around and thats only after a year. a 29g wont even cut it for the little guy for more then 6 months. they also like to make a deep cave so they need a very deep sand bed. I wouldnt advice putting him in a 5g tank at all, plus eels are notorious escape artists, ive found mine on the floor many times, and when he was smaller he would slide down the pipe into my sump, hes to fat to fit now tho lol.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.