The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am luckey enough to be going to St. John in August for around 10 days with a good friend of mine, his sister works at the hospital on St. Thomas. I was wondering if there are any good snorkeling areas/reef off the coast of St. John, seeing that is where our villa is we are staying is. I dont know if we will have a boat in our hands yet, but is there anything off the beach that is worth seeing??

Any site on the internet that you know of or personal experience would be great!

Thanks in adavance,

William Mann

·
Registered
822 Posts
My 15 year old son and I did some snorkeling one day on St. John last summer, as part of a crusie ship stop. I'm not a big cuise ship fan, but its a nice island (although we only got to spend one day there, which is part of the reason I don't like cruise ships, the other is the cattle mentality, but I digress).

We did some snorkeling at Trunk Bay. Its on the North side of the Isalnd as I recall, and has a nice public beach with some facilities (changing rooms, shower, snack bar, etc.. ). Cost a few bucks to get in (3 or 5 I think). I think they have a place that will rent mask/fins, but we had our own.

If you're standing on the beach looking out at the water, they have a snorkeling trail laid out on the right side of the beach. Most of its in 10 to 20 feet of water. Not a whole lot of coral growth as I recall, but some nice schools of bait fish (silversides), and a few of the usual carribean regulars (parrot fish, grey angels, seargent majors and other damsels). I thought the better snorkeling was on the left side of the beach. No "trail" or anything here, but more natural in its appearence. There's scattered coral heads with some moderate growth (a few acros, gorgonians and sponges as I recall) and more varieties of fish. For snorkeling its not bad. If you're a diver, I'd check that out. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to do any diving.

There may be better snorkeling spots on the Island (and my guess is there probably are) but Trunk Bay is where the Taxi driver that I asked recommended. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Is this in Florida? If so where?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, not exactly sure where the villa is we are staying at, I am just going along for a free trip :p, so I cant really say too much!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts