The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a Tiger Snapping Shrimp and a Yasha Gobi make it in a bare bottom tank? Lots of rock caves but no sand. Recently moved my 175 and wanted to let everything settle in and live rock purge from the move. Plan to add some live sand or something in a month or 2. Will the shrimp be cool under rocks till then? Or should I get substrate in there?

Wasn't planning on getting the shrimp but saw the Gobi and it's was extra nice looking. I've never had one since they are kinda expensive for a small fish. Guy suggested the shrimp and that was that. Not his fault as my will power in that store is low lol.

Administrator
Glad I'm not the only 'weak person' in this hobby.... :rolleyes:
Don't see where they're listed as a true 'sand sifter' getting their nutrition foraging for pods, but rather to make a lair in. Plenty of rock work should work.....if not, we'll find someone to blame it on.馃榿
Hack

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have any of you added live sand to a bare bottom tank? Was wanting to do a 1" sand bottom on the front half of the tank. Or atleast try to keep it in front of the rock work where I can vacuum it. Will 1 or 2 bags do anything to cycle a established aquarium?

Reactions: VWD

Administrator
Bagged live sand is always iffy in my mind. When i worked the Shops every new setup got a bag of sand out of established tank, but denitifying bacteria reproduce at a set rate

1 - 6 of 6 Posts