The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so about three weeks ago I got six turbo snails and one mexican turbo snail. They're still the only things in my tank, I plan on getting hermits and nassarius snails tomorrow. However, over the past three weeks I noticed two of them were dead. They were both in the middle of my sand bed and nowhere near a wall. Could this be the reason they died, they were stuck and couldn't move? Should I be worried about my tank already?
Help please

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nitrates: between 20 and 40
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Alkalinity around 300
pH: like 8.0-8.2

And no it was a brand new tank

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I let them sit in the bag from my LFS for about 10 minutes, I then added some of my water to the LFS bag, let them sit for about 10 more. Then finally put like 3/4 my water in the bag for 10 then let them go into the tank. They seemed just find for the first two weeks. They were cleaning machines. One died last week and one this morning

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
sounds like a turbo snail to me. the things always get stuck on their backs. and they cant get back up. cerith snails can get back up a little better than turbos can, and nass. snails can get back up with out a problem. but i have had a turbo crash a system before. (well not crash, but give me lots of problems and deaths.)

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
if they made it this far than the acclimation was okay. but i really think its because they fell over.
i will never own one again.

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

:wavey:

where the snails still in the shell? could they have been preyed upon?

G~
the snails were the only thing in the tank

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mexican turbos, and even the caribbean varieties, are not very hardy in home reef tanks IME. If you aren't getting them to deal with some massive algae problem and just want cuc for normal conditions then true trochus snails, nerites, and cerith snails are the way to go. I drip acclimate snails for about an hour and have observed the short-term survival rate and eventual longevity improves. They are pretty sensitive IMO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just watched my mexican turbo snail upright himself yesterday. Were they big or small. They don't have a real long lifespan. When I buy I look for juvi's over the big adults.

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
How big is the tank and how long has it been set up? Turbos eat a lot of algae so if the tank is small and/or the tank is newly set up, then there may not be enough food in there to sustain them. If they were in the middle of the sand, not by any walls, etc, then they have been desparate and trying to find a new area that had more algae. I would lean toward the starvation route.
Secondly, your nitrates are high. Were you testing throughout or did the nitrates spike after the snails died? If they went up that high from two turbos dying, then I am guessing it is a very small tank, which would reinforce the starvation theory. If the nitrates were always that high, then it could have been sensitivity to water quality. Usually, with high nitrates, there should also be a lot of algae for them to eat.
Last question is one I can't answer, so need someone with more experience to answer, but the turbo snail's shell grows with them. I am guessing they need to pull minerals from the water to grow them. If memory serves me right, the alk sounded low so could that cause a problem? Not sure on this point, so more a question so we can all continue learning.

If it is a small tank and/or little to no algae, I'd suggest trying to trade in the remaining turbos for something else.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts