The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little confused. Is a Strombus Snail the same thing as a Fighting Conch? I've been trying to figure this out, and I've seen the Strombus reffered to as "Strombus Conch." If they are not one in the same, how do you tell the difference, and what is the difference?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Strombus snails are a lot smaller, doesn't have the Probiscus & the Claw like the Fighting Conch does. Strombus Snail is about the same size as the Nassarius I believe, maybe a little bigger. I have 2 Fighting Conches in my 180 and they keep plenty busy.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you RChull! If what I have really is a strombus it's wayyyy bigger than a nassarius snail (at least an inch long) ....I don't know about a claw though...I've never seen a claw, just the "elephant trunk." I only ask because they're my favorite snail and I'd like to order more...I'm just not sure if I should order strombus or fighting conchs.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Fighting Conches are awesome and yes they have a brown claw with barbs on it to push themselves around the sand upon on the rocks. Mine are about 1 1/2" long and they are plenty big enough as they get up to 3" long. When I first took them out of the bag to add to tank, one of there claws got me and scared the hell out of me. Very wicked creatures.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I need to ask a question I bought 3 sand sifting snails I had two which look way differant to my old ones they are cream and red spots but my old ones are White and brown spots are they the same things and reef safe or not

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Strombus is the Genus, it does not imply a specific snail.

Strombus Gigas - Queen conch
Strombus Alatus - Fighting conch
Etc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts