The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often should a clam be checked for pyramid snails or other creatures...I'm asking cause I recently got a Maxima (large) with pyramid infestation. I think I've tweezered them all off, but what is an appropriate Qt time...the shell has so many crevices I'm concerned about larvae...It doesn't appear to have been affected by any yet as the mantle expands beautifully, but I don't want to introduce him to others till I know he can't infect them. Another question, I was thinking theses snails would reek havoc on the clam but they really move slowly (I know - snails) it would seem even if introduced to a tank there would be plenty of time to take out the clam and remove anything bothering it-are there other clam parasites that eat the clam quickly that I should be watching for, cause right now it would appear this clam has no further snails on it and would be good to introduce to the main display.

·
Registered
874 Posts
its always good to be double, even triple positive that there are no snails. Just keep it in qt till youre absolutely positive of no more snails, they can reproduce very quick and kill off your clams just as fast.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clam is in the main tank and I haven't seen any more snails. How quickly do they reproduce and should the clam be taken out of the tank periodically to check for snails? If so, any knowledge of how often it should be removed to be checked?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts