The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an ID on these snails? Good or bad

I found the two of them hanging out by some of my zoos, and the zoos have not opened in the last two days.

The picture is not great, but they are black and white speckled. They are each about the size of my pinky nail. They have what appears to be an appendage near the hole that looks like a drill (I am guessing that this is bad...)

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
Those look like sundial snail...they eat zoas

GET THEM OUT!!!

I would also consider doing a FW dip on all your zoas

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are tossed in the trash already (die varmits, die). Thanks for the info. I will try a dip. I don't see any others, but will keep my eyes out. I got some LR from a local guy and I think that they are HH. I also got a pretty mean red-eyed crab, but he now lives in the sump.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
they will eat zoo's and destroy a population, that little drill is their "tail", do yourself a favor and wake up in the middle of the night, with a flashlight. and look really really good for them, or you can loose your hole zoo colony in no time.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Why throw em away.... put em in a sump. Im sure they keep crap clean at least....

·
11,345 Posts
Jflip2002 said:
Why throw em away.... put em in a sump. Im sure they keep crap clean at least....
They are the spawn of satan. By the time i realized i had them i had already lost countless zoos and many more in the time it took to get rid of them. It took me over two months to get rid of a well over a hundred of them in my display. I THINK i have gotten them all.

kill them

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Don't put them in the sump - last thing you need is for the little boogers to reproduce and their spawn to take a ride up topside on the pump.

I knew a guy who had a serious infestation of them - I'd never seen or heard of them before then, but I've found a few since on colonies that I've brought into the shop.

They're sticky too -- nasty.

It's too bad - the shells are pretty - but they are definitely NOT a welcome hitchhiker.

Jenn

·
Registered
616 Posts
I just noticed a few of those myself. I picked out two so far. I love my zoas, so I'm going to have to really go after these buggers. I've only noticed them on LR so far, but that doesn't mean that they aren't under the zoas. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everybody. I had a good look last night a couple of hours after lights out and this morning and did not find any others. I will keep up my vigil for the next few nights and then tail off and just do regular inspections. Keeping my fingers crossed that these 4 are the only ones. Luckily I have have second colony of the type of zoo that they attacked. So I can restock those.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Stanfill Reef said:
Thanks everybody. I had a good look last night a couple of hours after lights out and this morning and did not find any others. I will keep up my vigil for the next few nights and then tail off and just do regular inspections. Keeping my fingers crossed that these 4 are the only ones. Luckily I have have second colony of the type of zoo that they attacked. So I can restock those.
if the colonies arent too large, try to actualy count how many polyps you have, also, if you like the shells, and they are large enough, kill them and set the shell somewhere in the sun for it to bleach, and toss the shells back in for hermit crabs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts