The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys i just came back from the grocery store and their was a couple their buys crabs for their fish tank so i asked the couple if that was ok to do that and if their is alot of die off he said no that he has been buying his snails from the grocery store for years he said it beats paying 2-4$ a snail so i asked the man that works at the fish market if they where from the sea he said yes and that he buts them in the lobster rank to clean algea
so my question is can i put the snail in my tank ?? for 20 it would cost me 2$ in stead of 2$ each so what do u guys think ???

·
Registered
286 Posts
Find out the species first.I haven't heard of a snail that isn't reef safe, but, its possible..

·
Gray Whale
657 Posts
You know, that's pretty interesting...
If the creatures come from the ocean and are alive in saltwater when you buy them, I would think that bringing them home and acclimating them properly would pose no problems... What type of snails do they sell at the market?
...I'd never thought of that before

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont no what they are called the guy said sea s nail but tell me nothing they look like turbo nails i will try to get a pic up soon

·
Registered
711 Posts
Their shape looks more like a margarita snail...I would buy some and try them. Great price..

·
Little Monster
838 Posts
My parents bought a bag of live snails at my supermarket. I got 4 for my aquarium and they had the rest for food (DISGUSTING) But in the end, all of the snails died, sadly. They came from a coldwater environment. Measy, if you know that the snails came from a tropical area, then I guess they would be safe.

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
oh welll at least you tryed and it didnt wreck your tank
haha I never said they didn't wreck my tank!!!!

last year I had this set up, and lost a store little neck clam in the sand, and this is what it looked like..

clam alive (you can see it)

clam dead....

lost the whole system after that darn clam died....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just a quick up date the snails are still alive that i can see a couple got flip over from the current but so far we are good i but them where i have some hair algea and they are staying their i but some where their was no algea ant they are slowy making their way to where algea is so i think they will work out and they make good snacks for my clow trigger :) i gave him one he loved it attacked it right away :) i will buy 50 tomorrow for 5$ hihi is that wise or should i just get like another 20 i have a 125 gal

1 - 20 of 24 Posts