The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed these small white star fish in my tank. At first there was only one now all of a suddend there is atleast ten. Are these good or bad for a reef tank??

CHEERS
:beer:
dermp

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
do these have irregular arms? if they do there seems to be two types of these stars. one that eats corals and one that eats biofilm/algae. if you find them on the glass at night than you are safe, if you find them at the base of your corals than not good. they are usually associated with SPS corals.

G~

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yip the arm sizes are all different. I have noticed them up on the glass and rocks!! Is there a name for them?

CHEERS
:beer:
dermp

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just set up my tank the first part of March, and I just found a little white star fish that looks like the brittle star in shape. What is it?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Asterina spp. sea stars

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just looked that star fish up and that's not the one I have.. it is white but looks just like a brittle star..only very little.. are the babies white?? It was under a piece of rock.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
There are species of mini-britte stars that never get larger than a quarter. They are black, brown, white, brown and white striped, white and red, etc. many different color variants. They are beneficial to the tank, as they are detrivores and will keep the bottom relatively free of trash for you. The Asterina spp on the other hand, may (as Geoff says) be good or bad depending on which one you have...

·
Registered
239 Posts
More time than not you should be safe with those stars. Just watch then as suggested. Johnny:)

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Agreed I have them to and are no problem at all,they hang out on the glass alot.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
cinchriste,

I just bought something that sounds like what you are describing. A tiny little white serpent star. It's no bigger than a nickle with it's tentacles fully extended. The guy sold it to me for a buck. I put it in my tank, and doubt I'll ever see it again.

Here's a little sketch of what it looks like. Does anyone know if this is it's full size, or is it a baby serpent star? Sketch attached is actual size (depending on your screen size and resolution).

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reef Boy,
that is the one I found.. it's tentacles are very long, but yet it's body is very tiny.. it's white, and blended right on the piece of coral it was clinging to. It is an old hard piece of coral, not a live one.

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
i was aquascaping my tank tonight and i discovered these little white brittle stars. I was excited to have yet another cool thing in my tank :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts