The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a leather coral in my tank for a few weeks now.
It seemed very inactive in the beginning but now little polyps start to show up.

Also I noticed some skin slime on the coral.
What is this slime?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Slime can be a protective covering and a sign of stress... or it can be a bacteria film. If it is a thin layer (hard to tell depth from a pic) then I tend to leave it. If it is thick or seems to be comming off the coral in strands I try to gently blow it off with an eye dropper or turkey baster.

·
300 Gallon Reef Tank
2,097 Posts
+1. Keep in strong flow to get rid of excess mucus and debris. Are the polyps near the edges of the leaves?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a bigger photo

There is enough current going passed it.

Today it seems to get loose and going away.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, I would maybe try to gently suck the strands off. Most softies do this to one degree or another every now and then. When I see it I generally run a little carbon just to be safe.

I'm still quite new with reef aquariums.

What do you mean with "blow it off with an eye dropper or turkey baster" and "run a little carbon"?

Thanks!

·
300 Gallon Reef Tank
2,097 Posts
He is talking about getting the mucus layer off the leather by putting a turkey baster in the water and letting it fill with water then blowing water on the leather to get the mucus layer off of it. The eye dropper does the same thing. You can even use a powerhead to blow off the leather. The carbon will absorb any chemicals released by the leather. You can get activated carbon and put it in a reactor or a filter bag and place it in a high flow area.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I nipped off the peace of slime and threw it in the bin. Didn't want to leave it in the tank.
Then used and eye dropper which came with the testerkit and cleared up the rest.
Everything is ok now :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts