The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Addicted to water
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do they fare in tanks? Do they need iodine to molt or any other special requirements? Also, will they eat parasites (such as ich) off of fish? That could be helpful in the future if there is a problem. Thanks in advance.

~Kayla

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I second what Lise has stated!! Great to watch the relationship between fish and invert!:)

·
Addicted to water
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good! Are they pretty hardy, or can they be sensitive to swings in salinity, temp, etc? I'm a newbie so I'm tryining to keep everything as healthy as possible at the moment. Thanks

~Kayla

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Kayla writes: Are they pretty hardy, or can they be sensitive to swings in salinity, temp, etc?
Yes Kayla they are quite hardy and don't think they are really sensitive to swings in salinity, temp, etc but like any tank you want to keep everything as stable as possible for the good health of your critters.;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
most of mine (four between two tanks) molt frequently, i have found if my maintenance scheduled water changes arent done they will moult with curly wiskers...so i now make sure the changes get done when they need to be.
I love ours, they come over when you clean algae, they scurry after flake foods and tidbits...and my yellow tang lays down for them to clean him sometimes. They are very fun to watch. Mine are quite large...and beautiful as they wave in the currents.
I think you will find them charming pets.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Are they compatible with Peppermint shrimps? I have several peppermints, but have also thought about getting a skunk if they well help with ick.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Alot of people say they help fish in prevention of Ick but then again there are alot of reasons why ick occurs but they do pick off parasites which can cause other diseases!

If this is your first cleaner shrimp beware when they molt! You will think your shrimp died but actually it's just the exo-skeleton and it can look pretty convincing at times as if your shrimp as died but he is in hiding for a day or two while it's new exo-skeleton is getting hard and this is the time they are the most vulnerable to other fish, etc.

Also I believe this is when mating takes place between male and female when the female molts!;)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Hey Phantom Phish! I can't argue with ya on that point!! :funny:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Just a word here...Acclimating a shrimp, any shrimp is much different than acclimating fish. Some people would disagree, but I believe a majority will say to drip acclimate them into your tank. Should be a slow process, cuase they are sensetitive to drastic change in pH. JMO

·
Administrator
47,633 Posts
Kayla, one of the neatest things about them , is unlike most shrimp that hide a lot , cleaners will come up and clean your hand after they get used to you :D

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Yeah I have the cleanest finger nails thanks to my shrimp!!:D

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
There ya go valexia that's a great idea! Walk in and put your hand in a tank of cleaners! Hey we may have something here!!:D

·
Administrator
47,633 Posts
"Reefs and Nails" ;) SW soak and Ambionensis manicures, Hey they could suck all the ammonia laden air from the perms and bubble it thru SW to feed the clam tanks.
(if they have made great strides in perms, forgive my ignorance, I have 2 sisters and grew up with Lilt and Toni home perms.)

·
Addicted to water
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the advice--you managed to convince me ;)

I got one and he's acclimating now... my fish seem very interested. When the guy @ the LFS was getting him, he had like ten of them cleaning his arm. It was hilarious! I will let you know how it goes.

~Kayla

·
Administrator
47,633 Posts
next LFS trip, get yourself a 2' (approx) length of the clear rigid airline tubing, its handy for lots of things esp whipping overly inquisitive fish into line :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts