The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking at skimmers for a 40 Breeder. I have not planned on what I will use for a sump/refugium yet. I am thinking about a CS-80 from Euro-Reef. New they can be had for $198 from Marine Depot with pump.

Anything else I should consider in the same price relm?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Try asmskimmer.com, these are the same skimmers at alot less price. I've been using them for awhile and have never had a problem. Especially if you decide to go with one of the many mods they provide. Still much cheaper than the EuroReef.
Richard

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Euro Reef is actually like $4 less, so lets say they are the same price. That given, which is a better deal based on the skimmers and the pumps they come with.

This will be my first time dealing with a sump/skimmer.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm in no way an expert, but when I was researching skimmers for my tank, I highly considered the ASM. The more I read, I realized that everyone was modding for better performance and whatnot. I didn't really want to spend 300 bucks then have to pay for mods on top of that. I think I would go with the ER since they are supposed to be great as they are. Just my 2 cents.

Chad

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the CS-80 for $198.00 seems to be the best deal out there right now. It isn't muchm ore then a coralife needle wheel even. Any other brands I should look at topping off at the $300 range?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I just went through this too, after looking and looking i decided to go euro reef. I went with a used one though. I wanted something that I know would be good. The guy I got it from had already done the gate valve mod and everything. the only other brands other than Euro reef that I would even consider are ETSS, Lifereef, MRC, and ASM.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I have an MR-1 that I would sell if you are intersted in it. I like it, but I am shutting down my tank.

MR-1 with collection cup and mag 12 pump

$200 and its yours. I have had a venturi design skimmer and this skimmer makes alot more bubbles and gunk IMO. Cost me over $300 for the setup.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've used and have quite a few skimmers and I've found that most of your better skimmers are going to get the job done, they just do it in different ways. There's always a "best" skimmer for a particular setup and I think that each of those listed (ER, ASM, MRC, ETSS, Lifereef, etc) have their share of times when they fill that role.

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
rgzfly said:
Try asmskimmer.com, these are the same skimmers at alot less price. I've been using them for awhile and have never had a problem. Especially if you decide to go with one of the many mods they provide. Still much cheaper than the EuroReef.
Richard
ASMskimmer.com no longer sells ASM skimmers. They were selling them too cheap and ASM cut them off. That sux.:cry:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
if the cost difference is minimal where comparing the Euroreef to ASM, go with the Euroreef. ASMs are great skimmers (I have one myself) but they NEED to be in a sump... they have an ongoing reputation of slow leaks near the collection cup (because of the o-ring design)

Staying in that same price range the MR-1's are awesome... very high quality materials and extreemly productive. When used with a collection cup, it cannot overflow... they are designed to stop producing productive bubbles once the cup is full (a very nice engineering design).

·
Monkey Man
409 Posts
I use an MR-1 Myself! I love it! The design of the aux collection cup is awesome! Never floods! Cuts off air supply when the cup is full! If you use it in-sump, be sure and install an airline somewhere away from the sump as salt creep/buildup will steadilly reduce air intake to the becket and reduce foam production. Once this is done it runs flawlessly!

·
Reefer Dude
409 Posts
I use a Aqua C Remora on my Seahorse tank. It's a good skimmer and you don't have to use a sump. Simple and effective. They actually make a nano version now.

Cheers
Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts