The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys just as it states, I need one asap for my 72 gallon, but of course I want the cheapest I can get while still get the best one. I guess the best bang for the buck!!!

CHEERS
:beer:
DERM

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Well I don't think there such a thing as a cheap skimmer as far as reef system is concerned! Do you plan on having a hang-on or In Sump Skimmer? I have an Aqua C Remora Pro Hang-on skimmer for my 80 gallon reef tank and it does great!:)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Aqua C Remora is a good hang on, if you go with a sump skimmer, Aqua C;s version of the Remora is the Urchin. We sold quited a few of these at the store, and not one person was unhappy with their purchase. A few were even surprised at the the Aqua C's performance. No real break in time, very few if any bubbles right from the get go. I would go with the pro version, as the regular versions are up to 75 gallons.

I don't want to put any of the other companies down, but I wuold stay away from the Prizm's. Low in cost, but you get what you pay for. Several customers didn't want to put the extra money out for the Aqua C's and bought a Prizm, and everyone of them came back and got an Aqua C.

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys how about seaclone's it seems like I could pick one of those up pretty cheap compared to others. Its good up to 100 gallons and I have a 72??

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
In my opinion I would stay away from a seaclone skimmer! I had one on my old 72 gallon bowfront and it was worthless and my tank was over taken by algae! Some people have modified the skimmer to work more effectively but I'm a firm believer in putting out the bucks for a great skimmer that will fit your system and save alot of head aches and money in the future!
The reason I say there is no cheap skimmer is that you will get what you paid for and in the long run your system will suffer so I would save up for a real good skimmer and you will be so much happier! It's your choice make the right one!;)

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about this idea!! I have a cheap one that I have in my 25 gallon now its seems to do a ok job always green stuff. Its good for 30 gallons if I bought another one and put both in each corners would that be a good idea? The only thing is that they are on the inside of the tank and I was hoping to starting getting away from that. I don't know what to do!! I am pretty straped for cash right now and I need a skimmer and lights so I am trying to make the best of both worlds!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the post. I'm in need of a new skimmer, too, because my Seaclone, which works fairly well (when it wants) on my 10 gal nano is a cheap headache.
I'd run without a skimmer and save up for some quality product before buying a Seaclone again.
I'd elaborate further but all you need to do is look at the other "Skimmer" post.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I vote for diy, you can make a really decent skimmer for less than the price of of that crappy seaclone. Do some searching on RC in the diy forum there are tons of people over there making their own skimmers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts