The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· THE VILLAGE IDIOT
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys just figured id come piss and moan on here about my NEW mechanical failure...

first it was the light...we get that fixed just waiting on new bulbs now...

and now the skimmer is down:bigeek:...:angry::angry::angry:..WTF SOB MF POS AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH and a few other words that i didnt feel like abbreviating!!!! **correct me if i cant use abbreviations please**

pulled the pump....nothing visable on the outside...i thought a snail got in it...so i took the need wheel housing off...NOTHING...clear all the way to the needle wheel....

so i pull the needle wheel out.....and then notice some mangle nylon/plastic shavings wraped around the ceramic shaft and then inside the needle wheel shaft itself....

once i FINALLY get the shaft out without breakin it....debri falls out of the shaft hole....:cry:

and an indention carved into the top of the need wheel around the shaft from the "bushings" that failed....

ya know...this is starting to get old and really makes a guy just want to sell everything and get out of the hobby....equipment failures SUCK but when your just barely workin and they fail and you dont have the money to fix them...then things start to get ugly and tanks start dying....

im gona try to get the CPR on this tank some how to at least have a skimmer of some kind going..... but i dont have anywhere to put it...:freak:

ill keep yall informed on the going ons on my TANK FAILURE instead of BUILD LOG since everything is steadily goin out....

i posted a thread on RC about it since there is a vertex rep pn there for MARINE DEPOT and also brad....so i guess we'll see what happens....

sorry for the rant and NOVEL.....but the fish are tired of hearing it!!!! LOL

· THE VILLAGE IDIOT
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya know it doesnt bother me that things break or wear out....but after 2 months...WOW>...oh well....part of the hobby i guess....

thanks for the offer on letting me borrow the skimmer....thats mighty nice of ya...THANKS.....

i have a cpr dual here that i could run if needed.....but no where to hang the dang thing....

· Registered
773 Posts
could you hang the CPR on the sump?? you know i had pumps do something similar when the fittings were too tight. friction is the biggest problem on anything that moves fast and constant. Id see how everything fits when you get your replacement parts and make sure everthings snug but not to snug and lets hope this doesnt happen again.

· Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Unfortunately, you're not the only person to have a pump problem with the Vertex skimmers. That said, though, Vertex is great about fixing others' pump problems, so I'm sure you'll have a new pump from them in no time.

· THE VILLAGE IDIOT
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the only way i could run the cpr on the sump is if i could make the tubes longer that the maxijets hang attach to....

the pump i believe is still good.....just the lil bushings on the ceramic shaft gave out and binded the needlewheel up when the bushing twisted around the shaft and then into the NW.....

i guess new parts are on order and should be here,HOPEFULLY, soon....

still waiting on replacement bulb for the light and some bushings from hydor as well....

HOPEFULLY this will be the end of the gremlins for awhile and let me get the dang tank finished without something else breaking.....

· The Watcher
2,053 Posts
Dj, if you are hurting for a skimmer I have an extra Mr2 with a genx 55 pump you can borrow. Shoot me a pm if you need it. Equipment failures suck!!!

· THE VILLAGE IDIOT
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey josh...i could really use a skimmer at this time....had to kill the vertex....starting to sound like my mower now.....hopefully the **** parts get here SOON.......BRAD.............

but.....i cant get to LAX.....i have a wheel bearing going out on the front of my truck and the hub assembly is $187 that i dont have to fix it right now....so driving is MIN at most.....

· The Watcher
2,053 Posts
argghh! I wonder if Brian is heading up to Eau Claire? I was just up there two weeks ago setting up your new Mc Donalds in Lake Hallie so you can pay for your big mac attack with a credit/debit card.

anyone going to Eau Claire that can help DJ out?

· Registered
773 Posts
why don't you just change the bearing only for 35 bucks. You should be able to break the pressed bearing out with not to much elbow grease. After you get it out, your home free, i've done a ton of them.

· The Watcher
2,053 Posts
Sorry Jen, I should have posted that I was coming up so I could stop by and see your tank and maybe make a visit to Aaron too. Next time I promise!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.