The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am builing the new in the wall 336g tank, plus sump and system which should put the total near 500 gallons total.

While at the acrylic wholesaler getting the materials for the tank, I saw a 10'' diameter 6' clear tube. I thought it would make an awesome skimmer. When I went back to get the cut goods, I asked again about the tube. Tha salesman said they are expensive and that it has some light scratches and felt tip pen marks on it. I told them it was for fish poop and those didnt matter for what I intend it to be used for.

He looked it up on the computer and said it is normally $150.00. He asked if it was worth $15.00 to me. :D :D :D :D :D :D OH YEAH!

Now I need some of your expertise on how to build a skimmer for 500 g's:dance:

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
808 Posts
WOW!!!

congrats on the big score!

as far as how to build a big skimmer i would say: build it like a little one but bigger! :D

i have no idea! just wanted to comment here since you have the same avatar!:D

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RF1,

I saw that avitar about 18 months ago and since I am lucky to have Pam just as interested in me I thought it was appropriate.

I thought about the little one to copy, but I want to know which one!:D

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
808 Posts
i would pick whichever skimmer you feel is the skimmer of choice. each skimmer will work somewhat differently on each system.

since you are using 10" tubing i would think that you would not need the reaction chamber to be more than 3' tall. you will need lots of pump and aeration of some sort. i would be thinkin along the lines of a dual or triple beckett style skimmer. might even have to add a foot or two just to reduce down to a narrower collection cup to help keep the foam dry.

i dunno!?

this is a good question!

keep us all informed with pics as you go!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking of that, but I guess I am being a little dense an need to see it in person or something. duh! Feelin a little like the dull tool in the shed here!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know how you feel, I've been looking at it for months now, and I think I might almost have it.
Feeling more like the broken tool
Dman

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
i would also agree on the eductor for a skimmer of that size. you are going to need one haus of a pump for that! i have a feeling you are thinking to hard on the eductor diagram.;) the barb is the water jet, the eductor, and the rest is to keep it contained. all of the outer PVC is used to collect the air. if it were made out of clear PVC you would not see any water at all in there. the water is shot very fast out of the barb and into the other piece of PVC. the air is sucked in by the pressure gradient. this is why they are really noisy.

sounds like a great project. please keep us posted.

G~

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
Chris

Check out Brent's monster skimmer (Zephrant) on RC, I'll try and find it and post a link for you. Looks like you'll need something more than a 100 iwaki if you go the way of the eductor or just two becketts if you went that way.

That's a grat deal on that tube. How are you gonna to cut it :confused: :rolleyes:

Did you get some 3/8" material for the skimmer as well? IMO, you will need a bigger gluing are for the tube to the top of the box, might have to got to 1/2" just for the top of the skimmer just for the gluing area, or you could add supports , filets out of triangular pieces - sorry gusets maybe spaced 6 of them around the base for extra strength. But that's just me :D

Will be starting ours in Dec sometime - when I'm finished with the work list that the wife has for me. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts