The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im pretty new to the hobby,so im not sure what is good,and i need peoples opions to make sure im not getting ripped off..This guy is offering me his skimmer its a Precision marine hot-1..for 75$ 4mths old, i looked it up,and its retailed at 160.00,and sites say its pretty good,but i need opinions to make my decision..thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
anecdotal tells me it is one of the best for the calibur skimmer it is.
it is more limited in it's abilties than i would want on say a 60g+ if you wish to keep it heavily stocked with corals.

what size tank are you installing it on?

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
woot 60 gallon tank... i am in the market, sell it to me and buy yourself a 120!

i also hear it is a good skimmer, you might want to see what charles can put together, and i would also look at the remorah as another good skimmer in that volume range. do not waste your time on a prizm unless you get a good deal... i had 2 in a row that did not perform anywhere near my expectations.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not sure on all the coral types i want to put in it,but i do want a good variety,and i havent got a sump goin yet, thats probably my last project...So i should get it then??

·
Registered
174 Posts
i think i would go with the remora pro if i were to buy that particular brand of hang on. but i plan to keep alot of slime makers. also a remora is spendy in comparison to the PM.

really for the price the PM is hard to beat. i don't have one but the quality in craftsmanship is said to be high and it is supposedly easy to clean which is a big complaint of mine with my excalibur. it is essentially the same thing, mine is just glued solid, the cup isn't keyholed, etc. (this = PM is far superior).

i do like the remora buzz though. everyone is pleased and the remora uses something other than a venturi off a powerhead which is really lacking in the foam dept. IMHO.

i wouldn't want a HOT model of anything though. if you don't have one, put in a sump....you will like your tank more. don't put it off, try to set up right from the start it gets tricky putting things in as after thoughts.

this tank is glass?

·
Registered
174 Posts
if it isn't drilled i suggest you have it done. i currently am setting up a 90g and it is sitting at Aloha glass as we speak. 10 bucks a hole and that is for 1" bulkheads.
the drawback here is they won't guarantee a good hole but success rate is at a purported 95%.

this ensures a better setup from the start. you now don't have to add a overflow box that will give you headaches later.

now, we can discuss sump madel skimmers.

beckett is good but probably a bit much for a 60g.
i really like ETSS Super Reef Devil

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2336037132&category=20758

·
Registered
174 Posts
BTW, i don't own one of those either i have just seen them in action and they really foam well.

Waves carries the ETSS line and you can see them in action in the shop. don't know that he carries the Devil though

·
Registered
174 Posts
ask away...i got nothing better to do and there is the space in here:funny:

i would do the sump. it isn't going to cost that much if you want to do it cheap and the benefits will be immeasurable.

the HOT 1 question i don't understand.
it iwll be more likely to flood your home. that is an opinion i suppose as i don't have proof to provide you on that. but the reasoning is that it is pumping water out the side like they do and one snail or whatever plugging the outlet and they overfill.
if that was your question.

aesthetics of a sumped tank are far better, you don't have to see all the heaters, skimmers and crap. also it easily enables the addition of things like chillers and refugiums. also eliminates the need for a bunch of powerheads in the tank.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.