The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
TCMAS Board of Director
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some suggestions on a skimmer for a 150 reef tank. I like the Euro-reefs but open to suggestions.

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
ASM G4+ with all the mods.
To have a GREAT skimmer made local will cost a bit more than the $500, but if your in that ball park it would pay to PM some of the locals makers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have been reading quite a bit about the octopus skimmers, and they seem to be pretty good for the price. Might be worth looking into. I have heard that the craftsmanship is better than ASM.

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
Guess its time to sell my New G3 and get me one of them octopus skimmers:agree:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not sure how much room you have under your tank. I have seen several different skimmers. For less money and one ka skimmer. Check out the PC-R 200 and 300. Two of the LFS. Are using the 300s exclusively, not saying that’s a good reason alone. I’m amazed how well the work

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
www.reefmania.net Look at the ps-8 that is your ticket, allthough it is a little more money than you are looking to spend it is well worth it, a skimmer is not something that you want to skimp on. I went through 4 skimmers before I finally bit the bullet. The owner is a local and a member whom has some pretty amazing craftsmanship. In fact my basement is kind of turning into a showfloor for him.:funny: Anything acrylic that I need made I have him do it. His work is second to none.:)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i have a Euro-reef RS250 for sale for around $400, i used it about 6 months, GREAt skimmer, check it out!

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
I am using an asm g4+ on a 220g that is overstocked with sps, so I dont neccesarily agree that you need a beckett or a downdraft. However, I am upgrading to a much larger skimmer as soon as someone finishes the frag tank. (ahem...cough, SPAZZ, cough, ahem...)

·
Registered
255 Posts
No you don't need it... but with Becketts and Downdrafts, you are able to process more water than in needle wheels, because of the larger pumps used. A downside is the larger pumps = higher operating cost. I've used needle wheels, Becketts, and ETS downdrafts. After using the later two, I wouldn't use anything else. (Currently using ETS). I've heard there's some amazing needle from Germany, Klaus Jansen's company makes them, called Bubble King... really pricy.

gogregerson, asking a question about skimmers is much akin to asking what is better Catholicism or Protestantism or Islam...

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Its not the skimmer that is pricey it is the red dragon pump that is the killer.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
mattb said:
No you don't need it... but with Becketts and Downdrafts, you are able to process more water than in needle wheels, because of the larger pumps used.
The principals of Skimmers are all about the size of bubbles, the amount of bubbles, the collision rate and contact time. Type of pump you use and the amount of water required to achive is irrelevent.

If by pushing more water through the skimmer compromises those two main factors ( collision and contact time ) then makes each pass less effecient. With non-counter current skimmer designs the flow is a necessary evil to produce the bubbles but also reduces the effeciency because collision rate and contact time are both reduced. So more flow doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

There was an excellent book about the principles of skimming and was very technical with all the equations in it. Unfortunately it is out of print now but regardless of the technology of how to produce the bubbles changes over time, the math behind it is all the same.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I guess the general sentiment in the industry that Becketts and Downdrafts are more efficient by design is wrong... If anything the issue with these skimmers is that they may be too efficient and quickly strip out beneficial minerals/nutrients in the water column.

Again a religous argument.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts