The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow reefers!

Have a bit of a concern and I am hoping others here have had the same problem, as I have read on other forums of folks having this issue but no follow ups on how they corrected it. :help:

I have been battling a cyanobacteria (red slime) outbreak for a few months now. Fairly common for our hobby. It started off in my refugium and a few weeks ago moved into my DT. After painstakingly removing it every other day and increasing the flow in the tank, it would keep reappearing with a vengeance. I finally decided to do some research on how to get rid of the world's oldest living organism.

I found a product called 'UltraLife Red Slime Stain Remover' that had great reviews from many distributors on the internet. Here's the product on MarineDepot: http://www.marinedepot.com/Ultralif...r_Medications-Ultralife-UL1311-FIMERM-vi.html

Most of the reviews did note that it would decrease the oxygen levels in your tank as well as having a temporary impact on your skimmer. I have also read the ongoing debate on those who have used reef safe chemicals to get rid of this bacteria and then those who refused to dose anything and prefer to use other natural methods (such as turning off their lights for 3 days straight once a month to starve the bacteria). In frustration and just wanting the problem to get solved, I decided to try the product.

I dosed the recommended amount and as it said, my skimmer went crazy. I turned it off for the next day or so. THe product definitely did what it said! All the slime was completely gone in less than 24 hours. My tank looks great! BUT...I still cannot turn on my skimmer without it going crazy and overflowing with little bubbles. It's been a week now and I am a little concerned. After the 48 hour period, I did a 20% WC with no change to the skimmer. I have left it running for a few days straight with no change. Turning it down all the way also makes no difference. I went out and bought a phosban reactor to keep down on phosphates in the tank just in case.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get my skimmer working again? Below are my tank and skimmer specs:

Eshopps S-120 skimmer (about a year old)
85g DT with 30g sump/refugium
Ecoxotic LEDs
~100lbs LR w/3" DSB
So far: trites/trates are 0; Ammonia 0; phosphates 0; pH 8.3; CAL, ALK, MAG all at recommended levels

Thank you all in advance to any advice!

·
Administrator
46,893 Posts
I have no idea what they are using in that stuff now, claims no algaecide or erythromycin
I found MSDS for the product, it is pretty vague :(
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Section 1 Material Identification NEPA HAZARD RATING
RED SLIME REMOVER Health 0
Flammability 0
Reactivity 0

Section 2 Ingredient Information
Non-Hazardous mixture of organic ingredients
(Biodegradable)

Section 3 Hazards Identification
Potential Health Effects
Eye Contact: May cause irritation
Skin Contact: Not A Hazard
Ingestion: May cause minor discomfort
Inhalation: May cause minor irritation
Chronic Effects: This product has not been tested as a whole for chronic effects, no ingredients are listed carcinogen ( N.T.P., LARO, OSHA ).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you can run the skimmer with a drain tube on the cup to catch the overflow I would do that and check your salinity, making sure it doesn't drop too much too soon.
A 20% water change is not going to lower the levels of whatever this stuff is by more than 1/5 so a series of water changes is probably going to be needed. I would run carbon as well as a back up measure. Personally I would never use a product that I did not know what was in it , but now that you have dosed and it seems to be knocking out the cyano realize that you need to keep up with removing all the dead cyano and any other waste materiel in the tank that has been feeding the cyano bloom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the response. I will be doing another 20% WC tomorrow and hopefully will begin to see some give in the bubbles. I will keep all of you up-to-date as to my progress.

Phil, I am with you. This definitely is not worth it and will be staying away from anything like this again :/

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Bigger water changes...

let the skimmer overflow and fill the cop, empty it, and replace that water with new saltwater.

·
Acroholic
3,188 Posts
Whenever I put something in my tank which causes the skimmer to overflow, I will just turn the skimmer way down until it is collecting normally and then slowly turn it up for a few days. This has worked every time and has been especially helpful with prazipro. If there isn't enough adjustment, I put plastic knitting screen (the same stuff you use for an algae turf scrubber) from a craft store over the inlet to the skimmer pump and then turn the skimmer's adjustment up until it collects foam again. When the adjustment is all the way up and it isn't pulling anymore, I will turn it all the way down again and remove the screen and start over.

·
Zombie Maker
872 Posts
Potassium permanganate, KMnO <sub>4 </sub>, is a chemical oxidizing agent that will react with any organic matter in a pond including algae, bacteria, fish, particulate and dissolved organic, and organic bottom sediments. It has been used in fish ponds to treat common fish pathogens such as gill parasites and external bacterial and fungal infections. Contrary to some reports, potassium permanganate does not add significant amounts of oxygen to water and can actually decrease dissolved oxygen concentrations by killing algae that produce much of the oxygen in ponds.

makes sense. good info Helen

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FutureDoc,

I read somewhere on the internet of someone who had problems of their skimmer constantly overflowing after adding something to their tank. Someone responded to their problem with a similar solution as to what you recommended; however, it seemed confusing to me. So basically turn the skimmer on and let the bubbles fill up the collection cup until it overflows; turn off the skimmer and empty the skimmer cup into a bucket to be dumped outside; fill the empty cup with new saltwater and pour into tank; put the cup back on skimmer and turn it on; repeat steps until the water stops overflowing. Did I get it right?

MINION, my skimmer is turned all the way down. It's funny how skimmers have their own personalities and are very finicky :/

Thanks again, guys.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
yup, you got it right. It is easier when skimmer have a drain plug but I think the Eshopps lacks those correct? Anyway, you are correct but I would let the skimmer remove a few gallons before I replace it with new water.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure if all Eshopps lack the drain plug, but mine does :/

After doing this tonight, I'm sure I'll be in the market for a skimmer that does have a drain plug...:)

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
If your does, then use that and a 5g bucket. That is the easiest method.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Invic made a really nice description of it...

Okay so here is my Detergent purge method from that new filter sock.....
Skimmer is acting near normal again, very minor microbubbles now. Finally getting a white column of bubbles so I seem to have gotten most of the chemical out.

Step one, attach hose to skimmer cup

Step two Dial skimmer up to just where the water is peeking near the top (chemical I had prevented foam from forming. Some sort of surficant surface tension chemical I assume)

Step three Let the skimmer run and peculate any chemicals and waste it can into the cup and into the bucket.

Step four wait while I fill up two 5g buckets with Aggressive skimming lol.

Step Five siphon out the display tank and remove more water volume. (hey if I an swapping water I might as well get some poo while I'm at it)

Step six Replace 55g of water.. (10g skimmed 45g siphoned)

Step seven fire up the RO system as I used up half my stand by water.

Step Eight fire up the skimmer and regain control of bubble generation and greatly reduce chemical waste I introduced!

Now this is Aggressive Skimming! (Turn down volume its a bit loud with my added PVC plumbing to control the skimmer during this. Also the Mag 9.5 mixing water behind me did not help much)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome! Thanks FutureDoc. I'm doing the exact same thing as we speak. I got a siphon running from my Eshopps skimmer collection cup into a 5 gallon bucket. I have another 5 gallon bucket with premixed saltwater (1.026) siphoned right back into my tank. Pretty simple if you ask me. I've got 15 gallons completed thus far and the bubbles are not as aggressive as they used to be...seems to be slowing down. I think I'm going to have to do another 20 gallon though :/

This was definitely not worth the effort!

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have a Way easier solution! Just tilt your collection cup/don't put it on all the way. Your collection cup will be tilted and the excess bubbles will go over the side. Eventually your cup will fill with skimmate as usual. Dump that and after 2-3 days you are back to normal. You don't have to adjust anything and you don't have to buy anything. Water change is a good idea as well (as always). Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE!!! I am about 80% done with another 20% WC (this will make 60% of the water changed in a week...that's 60 gallons of water in a 100 gallon system) and the skimmer is still overflowing. These WC's do not seem to be doing anything! It has been 8 days since I dosed the red slime stain remover (dosed on 18 May). I am half tempted to go get another skimmer! Any other suggestions?

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
It is not the skimmer, it is the chemicals. You might have to consider a big, massive WC as there is still residual slime remover in the tank that is enough to agitate the skimmer.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
I would not put a restriction on the pump personally as it can give some pumps issues... but for the short-term it could "work" but then again, shutting of the skimmer works too.

·
Registered
711 Posts
read my post. I've done what I sugested and in a day everything is fine again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts