The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would it be adviseable to use the biggest skimmer that will fit in the skimmer area of my sump, or after a certain point based on flow through of the sump does it not matter? im specifically thinking of choosing between the reef octo 6(150 gallon, with a 500gph pump) or the reef octo 8(250 gallon, with a 700 gph pump.)

my tank is will be a 75g, with a 35g sump with a flow through of about 450 gph.

thanks

rob

· Registered
421 Posts
From what I understand if you choose a skimmer capable of handling double your water volume it's more than sufficient for almost any bioload you can put in there. If you go too large then the skimmer will have a lot of down time. Futuredoc is really knowledgeable on skimmers. Maybe he can give you his opinion. It looks to me like the 2 skimmers you're looking at will make it a hard choice. Kinda need a Reef Octo 7 ;)

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Those gph ratings are more water-pump ratings and really only tell one how strong the motor is... it is just advertising numbers to make you think you are getting information to compare. Because the pump is modified for skimmer use (pinwheel, venturi) it will draw much less water and also draw air (and that is what we want).

For your tank, I like the Octo 8 (NWB200). However, I would also suggesting looking into the Recirculating Octo NWB 150 as it has performed very well in some more academic testing. Other options are upgrading to a better pump (Extreme with the Sicce or the Super Reef with the Bubble Blasters) because skimmer performance and quality is mostly dependent on the pump.

· Premium Member
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, so im between 3 models now.

1. reef octopus extreme 160 with a sicce psk-600

2. super reef octopus 1000int with a bb hy1000s pump

3. reef octopus 8 pinwheel skimmer with otp pump

leaning toward the extreme 160, myself

also, is it possible to go with #3 now, and upgrade the pump at a later date? and by possible, i actually men easy....lol

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
The 1000INT would work but it will be just a little small. Do not get focused on the gallon ratings. It is a useless number in most cases. I would still think the 2000INT is the better choice because the pump doubles the air-intake andgives you a larger body volume.

As for switching it over, it is very easy. Just unscrew one pump and then screw on the new pump. Simple as pie. (For Octo skimmers only). But if you are going to buy a new skimmer it is cheaper to go ahead and get the better pump with the body (kinda like a packaged deal).

· Premium Member
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks doc. think ill go with the 2000 then. maybe a little more than i was planning on, but it seems like a good place to not skimp!

so what is a good way to determine how big of a skimmer you need? more based on pump size, like a certain gph rating on the pump, reaction chamber size, height, neck, or is it just trial and error and us new guys should just be thankful to all you experienced guys that have put in the leg work?

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Skimmer body volume dwell time, air draw, and water draw account for most of it. Depending on how those interact is how well the skimmer wil work for a volume of water. The skimmer neck size plays a role as well as it dictates how much air can pass through and how much organics are needed to build a skimmate head. Skimmer type lays apart and some skimmers like downdrafts are different and offer strengths and weaknesses (High water and air draw but more eletrictiy and space issues) compared to pump asperiated skimmers.

I would like to think I can eye-ball it and know, but I also have to know the literature, numbers, and the details of both the skimmer and tank. I also have a lot of trail and error to go along.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.